VC++ .NET 2003

Started by
6 comments, last by Etnu 19 years, 8 months ago
Is VC++ .NET 2003 able to compile non-.NET code?
Advertisement
Yep.
yes.
From the Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 FAQ:

Quote:
Can I continue to write unmanaged applications with Visual C++ .NET?
Yes. Visual C++ .NET can generate both managed and unmanaged applications and components.

Straight from the Horse's mouth...
Well in that case, how about the likes of VC++ 2005 beta? Am I able to write unmanaged C++ via that?
Yes, and I'm pretty sure ms won't remove support for standard c++ ever.
So do i get this right - you can compile the same code just by selecting which compiler to use (managed or non-managed) and create both managed and non-managed executables from the same code without changing anything? And will there be some extras for the managed version that, if used, will prevent from making a non-managed version of the executable?
"A screen buffer is worth a thousand char's" - me
I have visual studio 2k2, 2k3, and 2k5 on my system. All 3 of them have compilers for the following languages:

C (C99, I believe)
C++ (~97%-99% ISO compliant)
VB.Net
C#
J#

2k2 and 2k3 also have managed C++ extensions.

2k5 has C++/CLI, which is the ultimate hybrid. You can do everything that native C++ lets you do, AND everything that managed C++ lets you do.

Example:

MyClass* Class1 = new Class;MyClass^ Class2 = gcnew Class;

Class1 is an unmanaged pointer to a native object.
Class2 is a managed reference.

Even MS is making the claim that C++/CLI is the platform of choice for development, and will likely be the area where games are developed (rather than C# or VB).

Check this article out.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement