Sign in to follow this  
CyberSlag5k

Looking to understand compilers

I've been programming since high school and like to think of myself as somewhat talented at it. I'm in college now and have just now really gotten through all my general courses and am just now getting into the heavy computer science (finally). Anyway I'd like to take the time I have now to fill in the gaps of my knowledge. For one, while I've developed several complex and lengthy projects, I cannot say that I really and truly understand what is going on when my programs compile, link, build, etc. and this bothers me somewhat. So I'm looking for some resources (on-line articles, mostly. books are expensive but if there's an end-all be-all book I absolutely must have, I'll spring for it) on understanding what compilers are, how they work, and eventually how to build my own language and/or compiler. I possess extensive knowledge of C++ from the programming stand point, now I'd like to move up to a level of mastery of the language by truly understanding what my code is doing (not just anticipating its output). Thanks in advance!

The "dragon" book is the definitive book for compilers.

Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, Jeffrey D. Ullman

For a long time this has been the go to book for learning about compiler theory.

Magius

Quote:
Original post by Palidine
[google] : "compiler tutorial" gleaned this:

http://compilers.iecc.com/crenshaw/

-me

Very nice link. I did "Understanding compilers" and "compiler books", the obvious "compiler tutorial" escaped me for whatever reason. Anyway, this looks perfect, thanks.

Quote:

The "dragon" book is the definitive book for compilers.

Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, Jeffrey D. Ullman

For a long time this has been the go to book for learning about compiler theory.

Magius

I heard that the dragon book was great as a reference but was overly technical to learn from. Is this not the case?

I've been reading the dragon book recently and IMO it is excellent to learn from. I've read hundreds of online tutorials on the subject but the whole subject didn't click until I got into the dragon book. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and so far I've learned just about all I wanted to know about compilers and I've still got 2/3 of the book to go.