Sign in to follow this  
NihilisticMystick

vertex shader skeletal animation

I'm thinking about using the doom 3 model format for a 3d engine im working on. And I was wondering if carmack does all the animation inside the vertex shader on the gfx card and if so, how youd go about doing that, what with the fact that you have to combine varying numbers of weights (its almost never constant) in order to get the final vertex position. Anyway, any ideas would be helpful. The way i was thinking to do it was that those vertices that did not use the max weight number (which is around 6 i think) could just have their weights duplicated evenly to the other slots.. or something.. so that the result would be the same and each vert would have 6 weights.. but some of them would be extraneous.. but yea any ideas would help, thanks.

doom3 does its animation on the cpu so it only has to do it once, otherwise it would have to do it multiple times for each pass. As for varying numbers of weights you will probably have 4 weights per vertex, if you arent using that weight just set it to 0 and ignore it in the vs.