Sign in to follow this  
bladeofodin

physics tech demo testing

developed on 1.8 Ghz + TNT2 video card ***requires directX 9.0 Features - rigid body stuff + rag doll Was just wondering how the fps handles on other systems when it starts and after alot of "shooting" website: http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/bladeofodin/ the download: http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/bladeofodin/files/ShooterGameDemo.zip NOTE: controls -arrows to move -0 numpad to jump/fly -left or right mouse button to shoot something -middle mouse button to grab objects thanks [Edited by - bladeofodin on August 23, 2004 12:20:08 PM]

Pretty cool but I think the friction for the player should be increased a bit as things seem to glide too much. I get about 170fps on my computer at the start of the level. I have a Barton XP2800 and a Radeon 9800pro

thanks for testing this out
i get around 110fps at the start
it is mostly cpu limited i guess

although the 3d drawing is not very fast to see what the speed is
without any physics code running HOLD + on the numpad

Well i'm running on a AMD Duron 1300 with 512mb sdram and a geforce 2 mx400 32mb.

With Physics anywhere from 35-80 depending on how much activity.
With Physics off I get up to 200-300fps. It looks like your
physics engine is realy consuming alot of cpu. But Addmitidly it looks realy nice.

I was disapointed that the balls didnt bounce well enough. It would have been nice to cee some bouncing down the stairs.

~120 fps at the start. Drops to 50fps after shooting globes for a couple of minutes.

Is there any perticular reason it has to use 100 megabytes of ram?

cool stuff... however while procrasinating on my own project, I found some things:

1) everytime those blue balls come raining down, the memory usage increases slightly. After a few minutes, it seems that there is no bound to how much it will use. (small leak?)

2) the big box directly behind you seems to never come to rest. after a few minutes, the box looks its right side is very slightly sinking into the ground (by one or two pixels) and then coming back up. Dunno if this gets exaggerated as time goes on.

3) When I started the app, I just turned to look at the box. I was getting 80-85 fps, which is odd since I have vsynch on and I usually get a max of 75. I guess this is the # physics frames per second?

4) After typing this message (with the app running in the background, and had done nothing else except turning and looking at the box), I noticed the FPS has dipped to around 74-80fps. There did not seem to be any pattern or correlation between what was happening on the screen and what fps I got. (note: I just sat there and watched it).

Hope this helps.

-j
ps: I managed to fall off the level hehe :)
pss: to the poster disappointed about no balls bouncing down the stairs. they actually do, just toss one up, then toss another to hit the ball. or toss some boxes. or run up the stairs and tumble down yourself.

I get an error (the windows "encountered an error and needs to close" one).

The log only contains:
aquired input device
aquired input device

I'm on a 2Ghz, 512MB, 64MB GeForce 440Go

I didn't think it'd matter, but disabling my second monitor didn't help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks to everyone for try my little thing out,
my response to comments

- yes there is likely afew memory leaks i haven't bothered looking for them in awhile

- the big box does indeed sink alittle. i never noticed this but it does happen. it actually happens on all things but it's only noticeable on larger objects. A fix to this that i plan to do later on is make objects time-out after they sit still for a short time. This will make things much faster also when lots of objects are just sitting around

- amount the memory usage, it does use about 100MB but the reason is because of something stupid/lasy i did. To make hit detection faster, i should have stored all objects in an octree type structure, instead i made a fixed sized grid type structure that just uses (and wastes) too much memory. If i don't use it, it only use about 15 MB

TO: Woodsman,

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I don't know why it failed.
And the log file i make doesn't really say much right now because i don't really use it yet. I'd have to go and insert log messages throughout the code to find out where it is breaking.
I'll need to do this soon and thanks again for proofing this app can crash

TO: ALL,

the physics code is indeed slow and still needs alot of work to make it faster and with more features.
I'll post another version again after i've progressed in someways and maybe when i've added some actual game elements to it also.

Sign in to follow this