making money for going to war with technology

Started by
11 comments, last by Michalson 19 years, 8 months ago
hi im making a 3d engine using direct x and in it ill only use x files, even for the animations(which is what im on right now importing the animated x files by my own which is new and hard just like the camera work is gonna be, its been a while since i havent used a 3d engine) and ill put octrees in it for collision and out door scenes, and bsp trees in it for indoor scenes, and i want to do the lighting so robots look the way i like them to, like the lighting in the power render engine, i wont charge a fortune for it, but its 100 1000 10 000 times more in depth then just using an engine with my octrees(and i have bsp trees in other direct x files with my own geometry in them, oh i may be able to use 3ds file for just land oh god i forgot that part yeah) and my naim goal is to have this to make my own games with it, id like to delve into physics and incorporate them, but i might just use ode, but i have to get to that, my physics kindof are basic, but still raw i have time to do more, and i was wondering how much of a profit should i hope to go for on this kind of a direct x engine? i just feel like it technological war, and if i can make 3d engines and games, then i should be thinking more about the time, the time im spending on it, VALUinG My time more, cause its a sweet war
"am i supposed to be able to do sh_t with this?" oink snort
Advertisement
if i complete the engine i believe i will get a buisness liscence
no ones answering me
no ones answered nothin' to me!

theres two things im thinkin"

a

that im the member of a small breed that can think of the structure for a 3d engine(laughs at you if this is right)

b

this is a joke

i pick a
im almost like i should go post my dude wandering the ogre engine
no that makes me sound bad,

its the fact that i figured out collision and bsp trees,

and while wandering around it the fifth or 10th day i said,

hey theyd take you more serious if you made you rengine to join the sixth demension with reality with,

thats what im bent on,

the trippyness of it all
mesage from genuis student tripper from 7 years ago robot,

i have to sound like this as a message to the unique
Quote:Original post by cdrw
no ones answering me
People have lives. They don't sit looking at the Gamedev forum all day just so they can answer your posts. It is also a global forum - many of the users could be asleep.

Post once then wait 24 hours for a reply. Repeatedly posting in the same thread makes your thread look silly and makes people less likely to take the time to answer.

To answer your question - No, you probably will not make any money from your engine (at least, not for many years) unless you:
a) Create a good business plan
b) Raise investment
c) Develop an engine that can compete with Renderware4/Doom5 etc
d) Have a developer support team who can match the service that other middleware companies provide
c) You invest a reasonably large amount of money into marketing your engine so that people know what it is.

The large developers/publishers pay large amounts for middleware but only because it is proven to make the development process smoother and they get good support. You can't prove your tech is great without making a game, which means you have to make the tech and then make a game before anyone will think of licensing your engine - in addition you need the support in place as mentioned above.

Small developers have small budgets. They don't pay a lot for middleware. Those who use it go with the lower price varients such as the Torque engine. The Torque engine was developed as part of a triple A game project and then sold as an engine - that means they were able to make a better engine because they had funding. They are now the main player in the low budget/indie middleware market. To take market share from them you would need to make a better engine AND spend money marketing it so that developers know about your engine. Unfortunately the Torque costs only $100 to license. That means that after you spend all your money you will need to charge a similar price - so you wont be making much money at all.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
no one markets an engine!
i was thinking 50 dollars

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement