Sign in to follow this  

AI Lib? Do you know one?

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You're not going to find many of these due to the fact that it's hard to abstract AI, and many algorithms are very specific to the implementation of everything else in the game (for example, object structure).

FEAR is an OpenSource library for the creation of AI for synthetic creatures. Alex Champandard, a regular here on GD.net, is the project Admin and has recently written a book on the subject (revolving around the use of FEAR for such tasks). It is certainly one of the leading solutions for what it seeks to achieve. Check out the website for more info.

Other than that, there are a few libraries out there for sub-tasks, such as pathfinding, planning, artificial neural network controllers, finite state machines, bayesian networks. One of the key reasons why there is not unified, widely accepted AI middleware solution is that there is no standard interface between applications and AI, as there is in, for instance, graphics. Such a standard is in the works, but has been for several years now and I have my doubts that even when completed it will be widely accepted for some time.

What particularly did you want to achieve by using an AI library? Was it simply not having to write the code yourself? If that is the case, there is plenty of free code out there for many of the tools that are applied in Game AI (and even AI in general). You might have luck starting with said code and altering it to fit your requirements.

Cheers,

Timkin

I wasn't in the channel yesterday, busy times at work... FEAR is a set of AI modules and a framework oriented towards building NPC.

Sadly, I often find that people use AI libraries as a substitute for knowing what they want and how to do it. What kind of stuff do you expect from such a project?

Alex

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.