Do i need to learn more to get sarted?

Started by
2 comments, last by BiGF00T 19 years, 8 months ago
hi, i'm a student ,new to gaming 'coz i'm mainly in programming that too mostly dos based.i have done turbo c/c++ till pointers and file handling,done VB still DO's and activeX development. so, is this sufficientto get me started or do i need a learn any thing new.
Advertisement
it will get you started... but you can never lean back because you'll never know enough... it will get you started for about 5 minutes. you wont achieve much with that knowledge but others knew less when they started. just dont expect to make something great and impressive for the first weeks :)
you didnt tell us what you want to do with your knowledge. if its a windows thing then you'll have to learn all the windows stuff at first (because you said you already know console stuff). then use directx or opengl to display something nice on the screen the rest is nearly the same as in dos.

happy coding
BiGFooT
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
firstly as i'm quite acyuainted to console i want to write a small game (NOT text based) for console and then i want to getoff to windows gaming.
if you know dos then all you need to know is how to make a window, how to set up dx or ogl and then draw stuff on the screen. behind the grafics everything looks just like dos.
this was what i have read to start win programming
after you have a window you can dig up some tutorials about directx or opengl. there are many good available.

i dont exactly understand what you want to do... you said you want to write a console game first but not text based...? maybe i understood something wrong... its 7am and i'm still awake...
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement