Sign in to follow this  

Parameter passing issue

This topic is 4869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having a problem with passing two dimensional arrays, I get the following error on this code: connot convert parameter 2 from 'char [49][21]' to 'char *[]' the code is this: float xk[MAXITOTAL-1]; // where maxitotal = 50 char block_matl[MAXNALT][21]; // where maxnalt = 50 int itotal; function definition: create_colors(float* vals, char* names[], int count); my call to the function: create_colors(xk, block_matl, itotal); Any help would be really appreciated.

void f(char** str, int rows, int cols)
{
for (int i = 0; i < rows; i++)
cout << str[i] << endl;
}

char* r [] = { "ABC", "DEF", "GHI", };
f(r, 3, 4);

Is create_colors your own? Avoid [] wherever possible.

When I changed the definition to:

create_colors(float* vals, char** names, int count);

I now get:

cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char[49][21]' to 'char **'

unfortunately I cannot change the passing parameter from its original format.

When I change the definition to char names[][21] and then pass arrays of second dimension 21 only I get no compiler erros, but if possible I would like to have a higher degree of freedom than this.

the problem is that a 'multdimensional' array is actually still all contigeous in memory, so you do not have access to a pointer to an array of pointers to arrays of chars. Instead, you just have access to a pointer to a single big array of chars and you are doing pointer arithmetic. You need to declare your array like:

char * strs[numstrs]

so that you actually have a pointer to an array of pointers. You would then be able to fill this array from a 2D array via a loop.

This topic is 4869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.