Sign in to follow this  

The XGameStation Is Out Baby, Yeah!

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was sort of thinking it'd never be out, but I'm glad it finally came out. The price does seem a little high, but I still may go for it, assuming it's as well documented and moderately powerful, it'd be very fun to learn and play around on.

"Hi!

Nice site.

But why spend 199$ for a system when you can get a c64,amiga,.... for approx. 25-50$ ?

McMc"

Why get a Commodore 64 to program games when you can get a XGS which allows you to make your own hardware upgrades and documents how to do so? It has support for ARM Assembly, BASIC, C/C++, and who knows what else. It is also completely documented for Developers, not users who just want to get a calculator going. The XGameStation truly rocks man.

Quote:

Why get a Commodore 64 to program games when you can get a XGS which allows you to make your own hardware upgrades and documents how to do so? It has support for ARM Assembly, BASIC, C/C++, and who knows what else. It is also completely documented for Developers, not users who just want to get a calculator going. The XGameStation truly rocks man.

Actually, the XGameStation does not support ARM Assembly, Basic, or C/C++. The released XGameStation (called the Micro Edition) is a highly simplified unit. It uses an SX52 PIC chip(RISC, harvard architecture), although it is extremely fast for a PIC, 80mips at 80mhz, and is programmable in a form of ASM. Maybe someone will write a C compiler, Basic Interpretor or Forth Machine for it. It does have some serious (although not insurmountable) limitations. Mainly you can only use 4k of code at any one time. Other than that, it is quite nice, but it has little to do with the XGameStation many people knew of and expected just weeks ago. That system is complete and scheduled to come out later, if interest in the Micro Edition holds up to expectations acording to Andre. I know of many people who have placed their orders and I will be when I have some spare cash.

Interestingly the graphics sub-system is very bare-bones, you have complete control over timings and everything that effects the display. So it can support almost any resolution up to NTSCs maximum (512x512 I believe) and it supports 32 different colors in 16 shades (intensities) each. Should be fun, I've seen some cool things done with it on the site.

Unfortunately there is no FPGA, one of the things I was really looking forward to playing with. Guess I'll have to wait for the Mega Edition.

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.