• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AntoanJamison

Expert advice needed

This topic is 5085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All I'm in deep shit . I act like smartass so my prof' got crazy and gave me a project making game with DirectX 9 .The problem is that i don't know DirectX 9 . Only language i know is CL. Also Cut and Paste won't work because i have to explain the code. So is possible to make some sidescroller like Super Mario within 3 months ? Please advice. Antoan

Advertisement
ok, if you dont know DirectX, stay AWAY from platformers! very complex (figuring out jumping, collision, etc. = pain in the ass) try and do something like tetris maybe?? or to knock it up a notch Pac Man??

Because you're using DirectX9, it doesn't mean you have to make a full 3D masterpiece. You could probably knock one up in 3 months if you use point sprites (or textured quads) with transformed co-ordinates (FVF_XYZRHW). You could use a 2d array for a title map to specify the platforms (use a free editor like Mappy to make the maps), maybe another map used as an overlay to specify the enemies and powerups etc. It wouldn't be too hard, but it's still a lot of work. Start researching into the stuff I suggested and with a bit of effort you could do it.

No no no pacman ,tetris and snake won't do.
Here's the specs:
Description :
2D game with at least 2 levels which could be
- sidescroller Super Mario like OR
- airplane shooter like 1943
Platform :
-Windows XP
Library:
-DirectX 9
Programming languages allowed:
-C++ and
-Common Lisp
IDE's allowed :
-Visual Studio (any version)
-Allegro (any version)
(i have them both)
ART allowed :
Any

Is it possible to make it in a three months,
and if it is which of the above is easier to do ?

oh yes, 1943 would be an excellent (and fairly easy) game to make. but i would say try apologizing first (bring him an apple or some crap like that. maybe take him out to dinner if you're desperate enough?)

Quote:
Original post by ugoff
but i would say try apologizing first (bring him an apple or some crap like that. maybe take him out to dinner if you're desperate enough?)

I don't believe it'll work and besides will lost my reputation.

your reputation for... being the class clown/ass?? hehe, i totally understand man, im the exact same way. its like... well, i dont know whats its like, but i understand

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!