Sign in to follow this  

Expert advice needed

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All I'm in deep shit . I act like smartass so my prof' got crazy and gave me a project making game with DirectX 9 .The problem is that i don't know DirectX 9 . Only language i know is CL. Also Cut and Paste won't work because i have to explain the code. So is possible to make some sidescroller like Super Mario within 3 months ? Please advice. Antoan

ok, if you dont know DirectX, stay AWAY from platformers! very complex (figuring out jumping, collision, etc. = pain in the ass) try and do something like tetris maybe?? or to knock it up a notch Pac Man??

Because you're using DirectX9, it doesn't mean you have to make a full 3D masterpiece. You could probably knock one up in 3 months if you use point sprites (or textured quads) with transformed co-ordinates (FVF_XYZRHW). You could use a 2d array for a title map to specify the platforms (use a free editor like Mappy to make the maps), maybe another map used as an overlay to specify the enemies and powerups etc. It wouldn't be too hard, but it's still a lot of work. Start researching into the stuff I suggested and with a bit of effort you could do it.

No no no pacman ,tetris and snake won't do.
Here's the specs:
Description :
2D game with at least 2 levels which could be
- sidescroller Super Mario like OR
- airplane shooter like 1943
Platform :
-Windows XP
Library:
-DirectX 9
Programming languages allowed:
-C++ and
-Common Lisp
IDE's allowed :
-Visual Studio (any version)
-Allegro (any version)
(i have them both)
ART allowed :
Any

Is it possible to make it in a three months,
and if it is which of the above is easier to do ?

oh yes, 1943 would be an excellent (and fairly easy) game to make. but i would say try apologizing first (bring him an apple or some crap like that. maybe take him out to dinner if you're desperate enough?)

Quote:
Original post by ugoff
but i would say try apologizing first (bring him an apple or some crap like that. maybe take him out to dinner if you're desperate enough?)

I don't believe it'll work and besides will lost my reputation.

your reputation for... being the class clown/ass?? hehe, i totally understand man, im the exact same way. its like... well, i dont know whats its like, but i understand

If you need to use Allegro it will be alot easier. Ask him if you could use SDL aswell(It's about the same as Allegro but more cross platform). If you may use SDL, you can get alot of help on these boards.

On a side note, how much c++ experience do you have?

Toolmaker

What I want to know is why the rediculious constraints. What if you wanted to do it in Borland J Builder, using OpenGL?

In any case. I know it is possible. Check out this - it was done in under 3 months. However if you don't know DirectX 9, then better start learning.

I hope you realise that it was a rather dumb assed thing to get yourself into [smile].

Quote:
Original post by Andrew Russell
What I want to know is why the rediculious constraints. What if you wanted to do it in Borland J Builder, using OpenGL?

In any case. I know it is possible. Check out this - it was done in under 3 months. However if you don't know DirectX 9, then better start learning.

I hope you realise that it was a rather dumb assed thing to get yourself into [smile].

Yup :P About two weeks (Cause there were many days I didn't work at all on it) and this includes the making of the GFX.

Good advice is to use the AppWizard.

/MindWipe

Quote:
If you need to use Allegro it will be alot easier. Ask him if you could use SDL aswell(It's about the same as Allegro but more cross platform). If you may use SDL, you can get alot of help on these boards.
I think he's referring to the CL IDE Allegro, not the library.

Your prof really got crazy. 1943 could be done in a few hours by an experienced coder with trash code and quick cut and paste from his own codebase or external samples. If you don't know C++, DirectX will be a pain. The COM interface is bs for beginners. If you really have to do it :

- analyse very small code samples you can easilly find on the www.
- try to convince him to replace D3D by GL. A bit easier to handle. Even John Carmack prefers GL.
- once you are sure you understood the basics. How to set a view frame, how to draw a sprite or triangle, how to write C code style in C++, or basic classes, ... (well quite some work). You can try to reap a small game code sample, and modify it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by AntoanJamison
No no no pacman ,tetris and snake won't do.
Here's the specs:
Description :
2D game with at least 2 levels which could be
- sidescroller Super Mario like OR
- airplane shooter like 1943
Platform :
-Windows XP
Library:
-DirectX 9
Programming languages allowed:
-C++ and
-Common Lisp
IDE's allowed :
-Visual Studio (any version)
-Allegro (any version)
(i have them both)
ART allowed :
Any

Is it possible to make it in a three months,
and if it is which of the above is easier to do ?

Antoan I don't know what you have done to make you teacher give you task like this but it would be reasonable to talk with him
before running into a such project.

Id say Admit that you dont know how but youll give it a stab anyway. I mean he's your teacher he'll understand. He'll also think better of you for being man enough to admit your problem but that your still willing to have a go.

Hey Antoan

Listen we can't help you unless you told us what you and what don't?
Please use some words describing your knowledge like :
null experience ; beginner ; intermediate ; pro .
And one more time what library do you have to use DirectX or Alegro ?

Quote:
Original post by thegamedesigner
Hey Antoan

Listen we can't help you unless you told us what you and what don't?
Please use some words describing your knowledge like :
null experience ; beginner ; intermediate ; pro .
And one more time what library do you have to use DirectX or Alegro ?
I think he pointed out clear enough that he has to use DirectX.

If you are doing only 2D game, there is not much from DirectX you have to learn.. Just copy/paste init code (5 lines of code anyway), and look how to use D3DXSprite functions, and probably D3DXTexture functions... That shouldn`t take more than 2-3 hours...
If you do not know c++, you can always code in pure c ;)

Guest Anonymous Poster
It would be cool to know what he actually done to earn this,
but whatever it was he's scr#w#ed up.

Quote:
Original post by AntoanJamison
And Allegro is an IDE

http://www.franz.com/products/

Oh yes Lisp implementation ,you won't need AI so forgath about it.
Listen your pro' is a jerk so don't let him win .
If you don't mind little cheating took some DirectX 9 tutorials
to figure out what is all about , in the meantime i would fix my old heligame to use DirectX 9 , put more comments in the source , write some explanations and mail it to you.
Well if i start tomorrow you'll get source .....Hm Monday morning.
I could downgrade it later ,get rid of some features code optimization,if you like game looking less advanced, though that would take longer . But if you're serious about this project even with your "modest" c++ you'll be able to present and explain full playable 1943 like game in less than a month.

Also may i use my Intel C++ compiler with VS2003 .
I hate non-optimized code ?

Think about it and reply.
TGD

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.