Expert advice needed

Started by
34 comments, last by pex22 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi All I'm in deep shit . I act like smartass so my prof' got crazy and gave me a project making game with DirectX 9 .The problem is that i don't know DirectX 9 . Only language i know is CL. Also Cut and Paste won't work because i have to explain the code. So is possible to make some sidescroller like Super Mario within 3 months ? Please advice. Antoan
Advertisement
ok, if you dont know DirectX, stay AWAY from platformers! very complex (figuring out jumping, collision, etc. = pain in the ass) try and do something like tetris maybe?? or to knock it up a notch Pac Man??
Silence! I'm Psychoflexing...
Because you're using DirectX9, it doesn't mean you have to make a full 3D masterpiece. You could probably knock one up in 3 months if you use point sprites (or textured quads) with transformed co-ordinates (FVF_XYZRHW). You could use a 2d array for a title map to specify the platforms (use a free editor like Mappy to make the maps), maybe another map used as an overlay to specify the enemies and powerups etc. It wouldn't be too hard, but it's still a lot of work. Start researching into the stuff I suggested and with a bit of effort you could do it.
try a 2d/3d snake game... like in nokia handphone..
intersting game with a simple algorithms..
No no no pacman ,tetris and snake won't do.
Here's the specs:
Description :
2D game with at least 2 levels which could be
- sidescroller Super Mario like OR
- airplane shooter like 1943
Platform :
-Windows XP
Library:
-DirectX 9
Programming languages allowed:
-C++ and
-Common Lisp
IDE's allowed :
-Visual Studio (any version)
-Allegro (any version)
(i have them both)
ART allowed :
Any

Is it possible to make it in a three months,
and if it is which of the above is easier to do ?
oh yes, 1943 would be an excellent (and fairly easy) game to make. but i would say try apologizing first (bring him an apple or some crap like that. maybe take him out to dinner if you're desperate enough?)
Quote:Original post by ugoff
but i would say try apologizing first (bring him an apple or some crap like that. maybe take him out to dinner if you're desperate enough?)

I don't believe it'll work and besides will lost my reputation.
your reputation for... being the class clown/ass?? hehe, i totally understand man, im the exact same way. its like... well, i dont know whats its like, but i understand
Make an 1943 game . If you keep your game simple about 10 types of planes 3 months is OK.
If you want to create a game in 3 months, you should start right away and work 24/7. :D
GBS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement