Sign in to follow this  

Nigthmare after monitor updated to LCD

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, all, After I replace my monitor from CRT to LCD, such a block of code cannot run well now (it does run before that), it will return E_FAIL.
if( NULL == ( g_pD3D = Direct3DCreate8( D3D_SDK_VERSION ) ) )
    return E_FAIL;

D3DDISPLAYMODE d3ddm;
if( FAILED( g_pD3D->GetAdapterDisplayMode( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &d3ddm ) ) )
    return E_FAIL;

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; 
ZeroMemory( &d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp) );
d3dpp.Windowed = FALSE;
d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;
d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = d3ddm.Format;

if( FAILED( g_pD3D->CreateDevice( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, 
  			       D3DDEVTYPE_REF, 
			       hWnd,		 	                    3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,
			  &d3dpp, 
					  &g_pd3dDevice ) ) )
{
		return E_FAIL;
}
Edited by Coder: Use source tags. Check GDNet Forums FAQ [Edited by - Coder on August 20, 2004 6:25:11 AM]

My DirectX is a little (ok, very) rusty, but if all you're doing is querying the hardware I'd assume that your monitor isn't currently properly recognized, perhaps try installing drivers, or uninstalling & reinstalling the monitor.

Quote:
Original post by Lee_
what are you setting the other presentation intervals to? those are very important.

Usually DX selects a default refresh rate, which is identical to the desktop's rate (if the mode is available).

I noticed you use the reference device - is this intended?

Quote:
Original post by darookie
Quote:
Original post by Lee_
what are you setting the other presentation intervals to? those are very important.

Usually DX selects a default refresh rate, which is identical to the desktop's rate (if the mode is available).

I noticed you use the reference device - is this intended?

RefreshRate should be used that way when it is in FullScreen Mode ... in Windowed Mode set it 0 and it will pick up the monitor's refresh rate.

sambsp: The error is not obviously because of your monitor. You are not showing anything Monitor specific here in your code. Try installing your Monitor Driver anyway. See if that helps or not. And try using HAL instead of REF. Better check it first :) you might find something.

Try running the application windowed. This will at least tell you if the problem lies in a refresh rate issue. It's possible, as most LCDs won't go over 75-85 hertz, but the average CRT will do that and then some easily.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You don't gain much by running LCDs / TFTs above 60hz anyway, since they're flicker free, and the response time is non-zero so faster refresh rates won't give you much better reaction times in games either.

I run mine at 60hz and it looks absolutely marvellous except for the very small amount of "motion blur" that is induced by the nonzero response time.

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.