Sign in to follow this  

Transition

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have another question. I'm coding a 2D-RPG Game. All my Objects on the screen are ID3DXSprites. Now I want a very atmorspheric :) effect when the scene changes. I want that the whole picture the player sees before his characters change the screen (entering a cave or something) turned like a page and below this page the new screen (the cave) can already be seen before the whole page/screen has turned over. I hope this is a bit understandable. :) Can somebody tell me the basics how to do this? I don't expect fullblown source now but maybe a push in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

You could render the last frame into an off screen surface and so treat as a texture that can then be mapped. The page turning effect could be a 3D animation or there may be an algorithm for this somewhere on the internet (it is used in video processing so must exist somewhere).

The most I can do is point you in the right direction:

The easiest way, as mentioned above, is to render it to a off-screen surface and texture that onto a quad, or matrix of quads. Stop rendering the old level, and start rendering the new level BEHIND the matrix of quads. Write whatever effect you want onto the quads, such as a page curl and as those quads dissapear off screen, the new level will show up from below.

Hope this makes some sense!

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.