Transition

Started by
3 comments, last by MannyCalavera 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I have another question. I'm coding a 2D-RPG Game. All my Objects on the screen are ID3DXSprites. Now I want a very atmorspheric :) effect when the scene changes. I want that the whole picture the player sees before his characters change the screen (entering a cave or something) turned like a page and below this page the new screen (the cave) can already be seen before the whole page/screen has turned over. I hope this is a bit understandable. :) Can somebody tell me the basics how to do this? I don't expect fullblown source now but maybe a push in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
You could render the last frame into an off screen surface and so treat as a texture that can then be mapped. The page turning effect could be a 3D animation or there may be an algorithm for this somewhere on the internet (it is used in video processing so must exist somewhere).
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Thanks. That sounds reasonable, but it sounds like an awful lot of work. ;) If someone has further ideas or has tried this already don't hesitate to post. ;)
The most I can do is point you in the right direction:

The easiest way, as mentioned above, is to render it to a off-screen surface and texture that onto a quad, or matrix of quads. Stop rendering the old level, and start rendering the new level BEHIND the matrix of quads. Write whatever effect you want onto the quads, such as a page curl and as those quads dissapear off screen, the new level will show up from below.

Hope this makes some sense!
SynexCode Monkey
Thanks again. It sounds very good, so I'll give it a try. :)

(Well, long hard road ahead ;) )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement