Sign in to follow this  

how to include Alpha channels in images?

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how do i implement the alpha channel in my textures rather than just using a one colour total transparency colourkey. and how do i put these alpha values into my image? what programs allow me to do this? i am currently using Corel PhotoPaint 9, is that crap?

tga files are a firm favourite for adding in alpha channels I think. The docs with your application should tell you how to do it.

Should that fail download a 3o day trial of Paint Shop Pro (www.jasc.com) I know its fairly easy to add alpha in that program and the documentation is great.

Yep, TGA files are probably the preferred image format of choice - that or PNG if you want good compression. You can use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or my preference, the GIMP, to manipulate TGAs with alpha channels.

-Mezz

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use .pngs because of the compression. If you are using OpenGL and need a texture loading library, DevIL (check sourceforge) works nicely at you giving it a file name ( "image.png" ) and it returning a GLuint refrenceing the texture.

I'd say .png is the nicest choice. I'm using it in my OpenGL app and it works great. The compression makes it a hands-down sure-fire choice over TGA - think of the savings!

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.