Strategy Game - Character's attributes

Started by
5 comments, last by Inmate2993 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi, everyone. I need help in one issue. What is the best approach to design attributes for a character in a strategy game? I want to hear your opinion. I would like to have something complex, but not so complex as to make the game hard to understand and play. Thanks in advance, and forgive my poor english. Son of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Advertisement
I played a lot of StarCraft a year or two back. If I remember correctly, their attributes were strength, speed, defense, shields, health, and energy. Simple enough, if you ask me.
Are you talking attributes for strategy or strategy/RPG? (ie, will the stats change?) Doesn't matter much anyway.

Stats:

• HP; hitpoints
  • SP/MP; special ability points
  • speed/agility; higher = more movement points / faster unit
  • normal/physcal strength; damage done with normal attacks
  • special/magic strength; damage done with special attacks
  • normal/physical stregnth; ability to withstand attack
  • special/magic defense; ability to withstand magic attack

And then you can invent your own, like Faith from FFT, willpower, etc.

[Or you can do what I do and have everything rnd()]
Yes, that is what I want to do, a strategy game like FFT.

The stats will change with level up.

I wanted to make a new approach at that - I would like to combine attributes like Strength or Dexterity to have a seconday attribute called Attack Power. A very simple idea, but there should be harmony between attributes. I won't add luck to the list if it is not used somewhere besides critical hits.

Then, some examples would be appreciated - what is the best way to mix primary attributes? I would like to produce fair calculations =)

Thanks for everone's feedback, and please forgive my bad english.
Son of Cain
Well first, if you're going to implement a class/job system (which seems to be common to the genre) you'll need to make up all the jobs. There were some threads on this earlier as I recall

Different jobs have different rates of stat growth, ie, a mage will have more MP and less HP then a knight. So you'll need to figure all that out too.

Tactic Ogre does this in an... interesting way. As I remember, each character had three base stats: Strength, Magic, and Speed. From these stats all the other ones listed before were derived, depending on the class. (I'm not 100% sure this is exactly right but..) If you wanted to find a mage's MP you'd go something like

Magic Stat * Mage MP Multiplier = Your Mage's MP

The actual base stats can only go up (ie by leveling up) however, you can actually reduce the derived ones by changing classes:

MP:
32 Magic Stat * 1.5 Mage Multiplier = 48 MP
32 Magic Stat * 0.5 Warrior Multiplier = 16 MP

and so on. Or, you can make up your own system and do whatever. That's the best thing about making your own games!

EDIT: Found the old thread!
Hi,

And what about the use of a system that can give premiums to characters as they level up - basically, gaining new abilities if they stick to a class enough time.

For example, if an unit has 10 Wizard levels, so it can cast low level spells...

I know it's hard to implement in a class changing system, but if you had to try that, what would be the best way? Consider that you cannot use the job point approach of FFT to solve this, let's try to be a little original =)

Thanks again,
Son of Cain
I'm curious as toward the disposability of characters. Is this a strategy game where each of the pieces (characters) can be considered as pawns and their only worth is the time you've put into them, or will it be more more sentimental, that each character has some distinct worth to them?

If its the latter, then just simply dump the Class system and have each character just have innate strengths and weaknesses. If you can make the learning of skills somehow generic enough that any character can take any path, then you can just make some of the other characters more adept at it.

Anyways, heres an Idea I'm just throwing at as for skills learning. What if you take the matriculation approach and let the player assign courses that the characters should be enrolled in. Like a College of RPG Tactics or something, being enrolled in a course means that they will be in the process of learning skills but locked off from other courses until they either drop out or pass the course. From there, you could leave prerequisits on the other courses, say Magic102 needs Magic101 passed first.

As for passing courses, well, I could defer to Disgaea:Hour Of Darkness (PS2) where you actually needed to take examinations.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement