Sign in to follow this  

Convert Grayscale Bitmap

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have spent about a week roaming this forum and the rest of the internet looking for a way to render a color bitmap in grayscale with directx 9.0. After a lot of searching i found out it is done by basically doing a palette swap. So here is my problem. I load the bitmap in GDI and obtain the palette information as long as it is a 256 color bitmap or less. I then take the average and use that to create a new palette where each color has a value equal to the average. I set the peFlags to 255, to take care of the alpha channel. I then delete the GDI version and load the bitmap into a surface (LoadSurfaceFromFile). After which i call: pDevice->SetPaletteEntries(500,m_peGray); pDevice->SetCurrentTexturePalette(500); Where pDevice is my LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9. The 500 doesnt really matter i tried tons of unsigned ints. And i have tried running both of those calls before the Surface call, i also tried running these commands in the Render Loop. The program compiles correctly, and neither of those functions return an error, but the picture simply renders as a color image when i present it. I present using the backbuffer: pDevice->UpdateSurface(m_pSurface, &m_SourceRect, pRenderSurface, &m_DestPoint); Where pRenderSurface is a pointer to the BackBuffer. All i want to do is load a bitmap convert it to grayscale and use it as a background, if anyone has any ideas or can offer any help, please let me know, thank you for anything you can offer, have a great day.

Read documentation of

D3DXColorAdjustSaturation() Function

in D3DX sdk!

it says,

The grayscale color is computed as:

r = g = b = 0.2125*r + 0.7154*g + 0.0721*b;

You will need to do this for every pixel of your bitmap and store the computed new value per pixel in a new empty 8-bit but of same dimensions bitmap.

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.