Sign in to follow this  

My first game - complete and tweaked!

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone. I posted the first version of my first game yesterday, and have looked over everything that everyone said. It is a pong-clone game, for those who havn't played it. Even if you got the old version, have a go with the final release and see what you think! If people who played the old version could have a go again, that would be really helpful, thankyou. Download Site The updates include: A menu Sound A single player game with a computer player Tweaked ball speed Corrected collision detection A few smaller tweaks and fixes. Have a go and tell me what you think! [EDIT] controls: UP/DOWN - move right paddle Q/S - move left paddle (2 player mode only) SPACE - launch ball ESC - back to main menu

Nice seems much better now :) one problem I saw was the CPU guy completly hammered me (10/2) but it said Player wins at the end. just something you can look into :) Other than that its a great game.

Really! Thats quite a serious problem... I tried to tweak the CPU to be equal in skill to the player - I normally just beat it 10/8 or near, sometimes it will beat me 10/9.

Lol yeah I must just be really bad :) HAHA anyway it wasnt being beaten that I was commenting on it was that the game said that I had won when the CPU had one.

Ya it definitely does look better. I noticed the same bug as grekster though. When the computer wins, it posts player wins at the bottom.

The computer AI is pretty good though, hard to beat. Did you use a tracking algorithm that sets it so that wherever the ball is the comp. moves to it, cuz thats what is seems like. Good job though.

Good game!

A simple suggestion. The menu should be navigable with the up and down arrow, or even better, add mouse support. It'll be a good coding experience too! :)

Quote:
Original post by Bbalstrzmj90
The computer AI is pretty good though, hard to beat. Did you use a tracking algorithm that sets it so that wherever the ball is the comp. moves to it, cuz thats what is seems like. Good job though.

Kinda sorta - the AI paddle's speed prevents it from being invincible. I gave this quite a bit of thought, tweaking the values for ball velocity and paddle speed for the AI, and settled on this.

Quote:
Original post by Bbalstrzmj90
The computer AI is pretty good though, hard to beat.

Too hard?

Hi,

Nice game, but I have a feeling that the fps isn't fixed.
On my P4 3Ghz it runs so fast that I hardly get to move my box and already the ball has returned and I have missed it.

You're right, thats the thing I forgot. Darnit. On faster mchines the game loop runs too fast, theres no limit on fps. Im fixing it right now, you probably will not play it again now but Il fix it for others.

Hmmm... :(

[EDIT] I hate to ask, but does anyone have any ideas on how this can be fixed?

My loop continually calls Game_Main_Proc() - someone suggested using GetTickCount, how could that mbe useful. Im aiming for 30 fps.

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.