Sign in to follow this  

Compatibility issue

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi guys, I made 3 games using directx . Tetris, snake and bricks. The problem is that it doesn't work on most machines. It either reports some dll files missing. (d3d9.dll, directinput8.dll...). Once i got those files, it gave an error in creating the direct 3D device. Guys, help. I have not tried to check whether the machine supports hardware or software vertex processing or whether HAL or REF device are supported. But i have tried to run it on PC's which are latest in configurations and have directX , good video card installed and more than 128mb ram installed. On my machine , when i tried to check before the device is created whether REF type device is supported, it said that it was not supported, but it created the device using D3DDEVTYPE_REF parameter.!!!! Help will be very much appreciated. bye mishal

I saw that the machine had directx9 installed.

I wonder if my simple game uses anything too complex for older versions of directx to not support? I have no idea about it. But, surely, it would be too weird to require ask someone to have directX9 installed to run a simple game like snake.

It's not stupid, weird or crazy. You linked DirectX 9 into your application, so it's looking for those DLLs, period. Do you want to use an older DX version? Get the SDK for that version(Which probably means you can no longer compile your app) and use it.

Each DirectX version comes with updates, patches and fixes. If you use a IDirect3D9 interface, the computer wants such an interface, and it doesn't eat a IDirect3D8 surface or 10. Just 9.

Toolmaker

Quote:
Original post by mishal153
I saw that the machine had directx9 installed.

I wonder if my simple game uses anything too complex for older versions of directx to not support? I have no idea about it. But, surely, it would be too weird to require ask someone to have directX9 installed to run a simple game like snake.

Did you make the game using DX 9b or 9c? Make sure that the computer you want to play it on has the SAME version of DX9, as in 9b or 9c, it isn't good enough just to have DX9

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.