Where do you generate your lightmaps.

Started by
8 comments, last by yogiwp 19 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I build my levels with 3d studio max. I have been checking for a pluging or something to create lightmaps but I did not find any, so, I would like to know where do you generate your level lightmaps for your game. Is there any external util or max pluging to achiveve this?. Thanks in advance, HexDump.
Advertisement
Hey,

I can't remember exactly where it is done, but the Q3Radiant generates lightmaps and dumps them out in a 128*128 matrix with RGB elements. Search online for radiosity calculators or something along those lines and see if you can turn anything up, I've never done this myself, the only experience I have with lightmaps is building them in DirectX based on what is contained in the .BSP file.

If I run accross anything I'll let you know,

Permafried-
Here's two lightmapper I'm aware of:

FSRad is a radiosity processor specialized for lightmap generation: http://www.fluidstudios.com/fsrad.html

gile is a global illumination / radiosity lightmapper, capable <br>of rendering high resolution lightmaps fast and efficiently: http://www.frecle.net/giles/<br>
3dsmax from version 5 and up(or something) has builtin support for creating lightmaps.
Yes, I was looking for this. My first priority was to create then in max, but the problem is that max only creates a lightmap for all the scene in a big texture, and this is not what we, game developers, need, am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.
in general you only want one big lightmap texture for the entire scene. if the scene is very large then 2 or 3 may be used though.
I see. But this could be a problem in cards witn say 16/32 MB of mem I think. What is the usual size for a LM texture? 1024x1024?

HexDump.
Quote:Original post by HexDump
... My first priority was to create then in max, but the problem is that max only creates a lightmap for all the scene in a big texture, and this is not what we, game developers, need, am I wrong?

How do you do that? The "render to texture" in Max 5 creates one lightmap for each object. Actually I want it like yours: only one large lightmap for the whole scene.
it is easy, Render to texture->Add a light map-> Render.

Anyway I think this is great for little levels. I´m making a rtype clone in 3D and levels are pretty large, so, I think 3dmax is not the way to go (can anyone confirm it?). Gile is great but it do not eats big meshes, so, I don´tknow where to go.<br><br><br>HexDump.
Quote:it is easy, Render to texture->Add a light map-> Render.

Um, CMIIW, this still bakes texture on per-object basis? (not per-scene).

Quote:Anyway I think this is great for little levels. I´m making a rtype clone in 3D and levels are pretty large, so, I think 3dmax is not the way to go (can anyone confirm it?).

So, I guess your level is one large object? You can cut it into smaller parts (objects) and generate a lightmap for each.
We've been using MAX to generate lightmaps. For our case it has been very effective as the artists are already familiar with MAX lighting/shadow system.
Our maps are made of many small objects. Too many actually, so I'm trying to find a way to merge lightmaps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement