starting with graphics, need help!

Started by
8 comments, last by Matei 19 years, 8 months ago
I think I am probably ready to move on to graphics now, but have no idea where to start or how to make games with graphics. I was thinking about using allegro(thats a graphics library, right?) and need help with that. any tutorials on allegro and graphics in general would be appreciated. thanks! edit- I am usgin dev C++ 4 [Edited by - jakpandora on August 19, 2004 5:17:38 PM]
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
Advertisement
definitively, use OpenGL. Its the most easier, and one of the most powerful. Doom3 was made in that ;)
And OpenGL dont require a full understanding of the OOP, like DirectX, that is really good too.
For OpenGL, you dont have to get any lib of header, all is already in your compiler (suggest vc++6) and the .dll are in windows already.
Visit nehe.gamedev.net to start learning now :), you will found this very easy, have fun!
On the flip side of things, if you were willing to go the extra step to learn DirectX, it has a large number of built in interfaces to handle things such as Input, Sound, media such as Mp3 and .AVI etc. not to mention a robust number of tutorials included with the SDK install to get you going. As well, there are a number of sites online which provide tutorials for building a DirectX application from the ground up, though most of them still seem to apply to DirectX 8.0 not 9.0, and a few things have changed between that time in regards to rendering, texture loading, etc.

Here's a few links you might want to check out in regards to DirectX, but if not, Daivuk has pointed out some key points about OpenGL which can prove to be advantageous as well.

Andy Pike
Nehe DirectX

Best of luck with everything,

Permafried-
i think u must improve your Algorithm first..

dont to rush....

step by step...

I know U can....
OpenGL is a very good choice if you are fimiliar with compiling and coding gui programs.It's available on multiple OSs.Very powerful and very compact.DirectX is huge but much more complex to use (and download 100 - 198 mb or so).

If you want something very simple Mode13h would be good.I loved using it.It's very simple.But only 320 x 200 pixels.SVGA offers much better resolutions but is a horror to program in.(I am currently doing that "-))

Yea take it easy,it's really does not matter what you use to display the pixels ,it's what is beneath which maters.

If you use any raw screen access and not a graphics API you will have to learn,use,implement algorithms like for line,polygons,shading etc.They are not very difficult but might take time.

Btw,if you dont get putting the pixels to the screen,dont worry just read more or use a lib or API.

//Edit:Some useful links
OpenGL
Mode13h Programming Tutorials As good as it gets on VGA
Assorted Tuts Should serve as an appitizer for various topics
FAQSYS Man,a lots of tuts,info on various subjects (a good collection)
DJGPP Good free compiler,makes a lot of things in game programming easier.
X2FTP Mirror You will run into x2ftp sometime later anyway,this will be useful
GOOGLE God,were would I be without google
Best of luck

[Edited by - FireNet on August 19, 2004 1:23:18 PM]
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
I would go with DX as well. The SDK is very well designed and you can seriously get going in little or no time.
I dont know if any of you know, but I am a begginer still. I dont really want to go onto graphics yet, but I am running out of things to do with text. I want the simpilest things possible. I thought allegro was simple. I really dont want to go onto dx or ogl. I just want to make console games with graphics
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
you should try using quick basic, although its the BASIC language, if you already know c++ it should be a breeze to learn and it comes with some simple graphics libraries, although using BASIC is a step back in programming you gain knowledge in game programming with it, and once you are more comfortable in game programming, then you should probably attempt game programming with opengl in ortho view (2D).
I'd say go for DX, but that's because that what I know how to use.
It's a big beast, but most of the massive code you see is initialisation.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I think Windows GDI is fine for 2D graphics, although I don't know how complicated it is to use from C++. You can probably copy a lot of the set up code from a tutorial. If you want really easy to use graphics, try Java or C#; there you can open a window in 2-3 lines, override its paint method, and use really simple functions like setColor, drawLine, fillRect, etc on a graphics object to draw stuff. It's easy to translate this to C later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement