Queston to all musicians here.

Started by
26 comments, last by zircon_st 19 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by FlamingBoi
well, piano for around 6 years, playin in sch band for 2 years already and im playin the euphonium. composing? i would say 1 year? i'm not that good at it but i really enjoy composing music. And i really do not know what's in studying of music? how do they teach u to compose? o.O.. im self taught ;).. and i might take up composing as my profession when i get higher quality samples like GPO ;).. for now.. free soundfont ..
btw im only 14 :)

There are many ways to study music. If you were to major in something music related in college, you'd study music history, composition, and theory, at the very least. You might study the physics of sound, the anatomy of the human ear, counterpoint, and famous figures in music history. If you're going for a more technical education, you're looking at recording, production, construction of synthesizers, synthesizer programming, mastering, and sequencing.
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
Advertisement
I guess all musicians start as kids or with music as a hobby. Most of the ones I know started around the early teens with beeing serious about music, I dont have any of those pre-teen prodigys among the ones I work with anymore. (Those who started at the age of 6 or younger all fell out for various reasons.)

I myself studies at Recording institurte of technology in Hollywood about 4 years ago and after returning home to sweden me and 2 friends built our own studio which we are still running.

I plan to be a rock star, and if that falls through, I'll stick with programming [grin]

Seriously though, I have played drums for about 4 years now, keyboard & piano for 12, and classical guitar for about 1 year.

It's kinda wierd playing thrash metal drums at a gig one night, then waking in the morning and playing some classical guitar :)

My Dad used to do a lot of music production, which meant him buying a nice 16 track mixer that I get to play wiith at home. Me and my brother (he's the guitarist in our band) have just finished recording an album, to be released soon and were hoping to get some bigger venues after that plus we will be recording other bands soon as they seem to like our work!
Life is all about expression, so express yourself.
Quote:Original post by Mosh

I plan to be a rock star, and if that falls through, I'll stick with programming [grin]

lol you sound like me :)

I've been singing for the past 2 years in a band, just recently taken up lessons... Otherwise i've been playing guitar for the past 2 years and composing. I picked up the electric mandolin last year and am starting to play keyboard. Not exactly a professional, and pretty much all self taught :)
I've been playing both guitar and trombone for 7 years now. I have an AMEB (Australian Music Education Board) Grade 5 in trombone, contempory guitar, and classical guitar. In addition, I have an AMEB grade 3 in Euphonium, which I have been playing for 5 years. I also play mandolin, harmonica, bass, cello, trumpet, and homemade bamboo flutes, as well as various types of percussion.

I guess my band 'Veyr' could be considered a 'garage band', although we're somewhat unusual for that in the sense that we play neoclassical metal, using a fairly unusual assortment of instruments (for some examples, I play an 8-string electric guitar with scalloped fretboard, we have a guy in the band who plays a 6-string electric viola).

I've been composing music for about 5 years, although much of my earlier work isnt very good. I started out using Modplug Tracker but have sinse progressed to composing on paper, as well as using tools such as Sibelius 2 and FLStudio to produce my music. Some of my music has been played live by my local sympony-orchestra as well.

I play several instruments semi-professionally in musicals, with my local symphony, and in various other regional bands.

So yeah - I guess that qualifies my for 'serious.' [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:
It's kinda wierd playing thrash metal drums at a gig one night, then waking in the morning and playing some classical guitar :)

Try playing some neoclassical rock/metal with your band. If you dont know the genre, I'd highly recommend checking out anything by Yngwie Malmsteen as good examples.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yngwie is one of my favourite guitarists! Along with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Adres Segovia! I'm lucky to have two guitarists in my band that can play that sort of guitaring, but I ain't quite that good yet :)
Life is all about expression, so express yourself.
a) Keep working at it, all it takes is practice.

b) Learn 'Midnight' by Joe Satriani.

- Jason Astle-Adams

First my record:

5 years of playing guitar (2 years of taking it serious). 2 years of music theory (Thought by myself mos of it). 1 year of music composition (getting better at it). I plan to work as a programmer just to get enough to dedicate full time to music (to go study music somewhere out of my country). Well, about my band, I play something like prog metal with a little of jazz, chill out and neoclassic metal. (very wierd mix! don't you think?)

Well, now I guess I'll add John Petrucci to the guitarris list Mosh did!

I know my English sucks, so please I only ask for some patience. :)
Quote:Original post by enker
Well, now I guess I'll add John Petrucci to the guitarris list Mosh did!

I second that one and add Marty Friedman and Jason Becker.
Anthony Rufrano
RealityFactory 2 Programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement