What 3d Engine do you use?

Started by
6 comments, last by codeandroid 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm currently looking into a 3D Engine for a Network based Puzzle game, and was wondering what 3D engine you all use and what one do you all think would be a good choice for this type of game? The scenes would be somewhat small, fast action based. Writing in C++/DirectX or OpenGL (haven't decided yet) for the PC platform (might port to Linux or Mac in the future).
Advertisement
I'm figuring out OGRE, and I really like its design. YMMV, but it's clean and rational and object-oriented. It's nothing more than a rendering engine, though, which means that it'll still be up to you to put in physics, networking, etc.

Crystal Space seems pretty full-featured, though, but I've never used it. Either way, take a look at the two of them. Hopefully the LGPL won't cause you any problems (as long as you use their code without modification and point to them in your docs, you can distribute the closed, or something).

By the way, with OGRE, you get OGL, D3d7, and D3d9 support pretty much out of the box on Windows, and OGL on Linux. Read the docs.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

I'm writing my own basic top down shooter engine (although it's in 3d). I say 'engine', when I really mean game...

A good reference for engines and comparison of features/specs is the DevMaster Engine Database. Check it out, there's a load out there - it's nice to see such info accessible in one place.
I don't use 3d engine.
Quote:Original post by stefu
I don't use 3d engine.

You don't have to post, you know...

OP:
If you strive for portability, ORGE is very nice, though a bit complex. Checkout the list that evolutional provided. Irrlicht and Neoengine are good choices, too.

Thank you all for your great info. I looked at the list, and I think I like RealmForgeGDK. But, it's not compilable yet. :( At least not by me. I'm going to look at some others. Thanks again for the info.
Quote:Original post by BinaryDragon
Writing in C++/DirectX or OpenGL (haven't decided yet) for the PC platform (might port to Linux or Mac in the future).

If you're seriously considering porting, it'd be a wise move to steer away from DirectX.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Quote:Original post by evolutional
A good reference for engines and comparison of features/specs is the DevMaster Engine Database. Check it out, there's a load out there - it's nice to see such info accessible in one place.

That list ain't bad. What's bad is that nobody seemed to have verified the entries which makes for an interesting experience when you look at the actual code base after you've read the feature list...

That said, I go with OGRE all the way, but still I've abstracted 3D rendering engine interfaces for my little project.

-codeandroid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement