Moving On

Started by
4 comments, last by Bbalstrzmj90 19 years, 8 months ago
I currently finishing up reading Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore. It's a good book, and I learned a lot from it and I guess you can say I'm like an intermediate C++ programmer. I'm going to make a text-based RPG with what I know. My question is though, after I finish my text-based RPG, should I buy another C++ book for advanced C++, make a more advanced text-game and then move on to graphics programming and stuff or should I just move on after I finish my text-based RPG. If I should move on to advanced C++, what book should I get. I've been reading and it seems to good choices are: The C++ Programming Language Special by Bjarne Stroustrup & C++: The Complete Reference, Fourth Edition by Herbert Schildt I'm up for any recommendations. Thanks P.S. I plan on getting into the industry (not particularly the game industry). Maybe something with software development. So if you want to base your reply on that bit of info, it's there.
Advertisement
Depends on what you want to become, Text-based Game Programmer or 2D/3D Game Programmer? [wink]

I think, if you study the latter, the first will show up. But if you turn it around, the latter won't show up while you learn the first. Ah, you see?

So my advice is to learn 2D/3D Game Programming, and let the advanced C++ stuff (which you will not need at this stage) come to you.
Well it all depends. For software development i would suggest getting yourself soaked into some .NET framework books, since alot of companies are now going with the .NET approach for their applications. You could also find a book for Data Structures, which helps alot... the possibilities are endless
I'd recommend choosing an area of programming that you're interested in (3D graphics, networking, databases, etc.) and buy a book on that. If the book introduces you to concepts you haven't learned yet, then you'll have a good chance to see those concepts in practical applications, and you can easily learn how they work with free internet tutorials. Plus, you get to learn something and work in an area that you're interested in.

At this point I would say your biggest need is not for more book learning but for real experience writing code. Getting into an area (or two, or five) that you enjoy working with can give you some great opportunities to build up that experience and learn as you go. Programming, especially as a career, is a constant excersize in learning - so the sooner you get used to learning and being productive at the same time, the better things will go with your coding.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

It's hard to say, really. I mean software engineering books could prove very useful in your position. It all depends what part of the industry you'd like to get into, but I'd say good software engineering practices are relevant to all of them.

In terms of progressing your C++ knowledge, to a look at Virtually Online. I can't remember which GameDev member runs the site, but there's information there on books to choose from, categorised into Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Reference books.

The best thing you can possibly do though, is practice. Try to put everything you've read, into practice. The more you do it, the more the good things will turn to habit.

No-one can really give you the definitive path to what to learn, as it's down to you what you'd like to accomplish. I personally tend to find the software engineering books a little bland, even though the information is very important. It just means it takes me a little longer to read those books as they're not my favourite. [smile]

-hellz
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll make my RPG game and then start working on different 2D/3D games. I'll probably work on some apps to so I have an idea of creating differnt things and what methods to use for the project. And I'll look into those software engineering books hellz. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement