3d Game Development

Started by
5 comments, last by Drakonite 19 years, 7 months ago
Well, I want to get used to making 3d Games for Consoles in C++ is there book&Software that teaches me how 2 do it step by step, I am fomiliar with C++ Game Programming for computer
Advertisement
well Im not the best person to answer this but i will try to give you some insite.

From what I know most consoles use their own development kits and or programming languages. (Like playstation has its own language i believe, im sure its a derivative from something everyone knows but still).

Computer games are probably all C++ and some are moving into Java or C#.

But there are sites on the net you can search for at yahoo like
PSXDEV or PS2DEV or XBOXDev or somthin.

take care.
Larry CharlesCentra Entertainment Studios
for PS2 there is a thing called " code warrior v3.6" you can get from PS2 site i guess. Its a development toolkit for PS2 which have everything you need for programming a PS2 game, i believe.

and for Xbox you check there own site as they have a developer portal. There you can find everything related to programming. follow the link: www.Xbox.com/dev
I think for Xbox you use Visual C++, like you would for Windows. You'll need to get a copy of the XDK (xbox developer kit) to be able to make games for it, but I think its pretty similar to programming a Windows/DirectX game.

A far as I know, PS2 doesn't have its own language. All the consoles are generally programmed in C++, and of course don't have C#, .NET or a virtual machine for java.
Quote:Original post by Shard
I think for Xbox you use Visual C++, like you would for Windows. You'll need to get a copy of the XDK (xbox developer kit) to be able to make games for it, but I think its pretty similar to programming a Windows/DirectX game.

A far as I know, PS2 doesn't have its own language. All the consoles are generally programmed in C++, and of course don't have C#, .NET or a virtual machine for java.

There are never any separate languages for any consoles either its mobile, Xbox or PS2. you just need to get the toolkit of that particular console and wella you can start making stuff. And XDK is Visual C++ as well as Code warrior v3.6 which is for PS2....
Quote:Original post by VolverineThere are never any separate languages for any consoles either its mobile, Xbox or PS2. you just need to get the toolkit of that particular console and wella you can start making stuff. And XDK is Visual C++ as well as Code warrior v3.6 which is for PS2....

I was replying to what flip5577 said about PS2 having its own language.

XDK is the Xbox SDK, which you can apparently find on the internet, but you cannot legally do so and use it without Microsoft's permission.

I think you can use GCC for PS2, since it runs some form of Linux. There are a few articles about PS2 development on gamedev.
When programming for a console you are 99.9% of the time going to be using either C or ASM, but more often C with a few small bits optimized in ASM.

Simply put, there is no step by step tutorial on writing console video games. And in almost all cases it's not something you want to take on if you don't have a firm grasp on writing games in C for a PC.

Along with knowing the language of choice (which is almost always going to be C) you need a cross compiler for your target console (a cross compiler is a toolchain which runs on one type of hardware (a PC) but makes executables for another type of hardware), various libraries for using the hardware (can be thought of as having the same type of purpose as directx or winapi, however they do NOT do that much work for you), and a way to run your binaries, which could mean burning a CD, running in emulator (GBA), or usually it means via link software which is running on the console.

Not all consoles have legally available tools for developing on them. The GBA, Dreamcast, and PS2 do however. I can recommend the Dreamcast and the GBA to someone just getting into console homebrew, however the PS2 is an extremely complex piece of hardware so I only recommend it to someone who is very confident in their programming ability, dedicated, and a bit crazy ;)

Quote:Original post by Shard
I think you can use GCC for PS2, since it runs some form of Linux. There are a few articles about PS2 development on gamedev.

While the PS2Linux kit lets you run linux on a PS2 (and could be an easy/fun way to play with the PS2s hardware) the PS2 itself does not run linux unless you are booting that kit. There is, however, a GCC toolchain for compiling 'native' PS2 binaries (i.e. Run in the same environment a PS2 game does, no special kit necessary)
Shoot Pixels Not People

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement