Sign in to follow this  

linux server, which version?

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I want to setup my own server for our website, obviously using apache and Mysql and sit it on a linux os, my problem is i know very little about linux (which is the reason i want to use it). Can anyone recomend a version of Linux which would suit my purposes and a downlaod site?? Thanks in advance Kevin

I would highly recommend debian. Its packaging system means you dont have to worry about finding/compiling/configuring/etc applications manually. I setup my debian server with apache/php5/perl, ftp, mail in a couple of hours. Ive done similar on other versions of linux and its taken all day.

Alan

I'd recommend gentoo. It's certainly not the easiest thing to setup (it comes with a HOWTO document instead of an installer), but it's very flexible, and you are guaranteed to learn something in the process.

It has a great package management system called Portage, that allows you to download, compile and install an application like apache just by typing "emerge apache" in a console. (GUI frontends exist if you like that sort of thing)

I wouldn't recommend Gentoo if it's your first distro. You'll want to be pretty familiar with Linux before you try to install it. I didn't have any problems with it, and it's definitely the nicest distro I've used, but I could see how someone new to Linux wouldn't have a clue what to do (especially if you run into a problem). I think it's probably best that you go with Debian in this case. Slackware might be confusing at first (not to mention install a lot of stuff you don't need) and Gentoo _requires_ Linux experience.

You might also want to try out Knoppix. It's a Linux distro entirely on one (bootable) CD. That way nothing has to be installed on your harddrive (you can if you want, though) and you can get used to Linux. I definitely would _not_ use it for a server, it's really just an easy way to boot into a safe Linux environment without actually reformatting/repartitioning.

So yeah, you might as well use Debian. Be aware that there are other OSes out there that are good server OSes, like FreeBSD.

Sign in to follow this