3d GAME DEVELOPMENT IN C++

Started by
3 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 19 years, 8 months ago
Well, I started out reading a book called "Beginning C++ game programming " That book is mostly based on text rpg games, but it doesnt connect the consepsts on how it would all work. It gives an example of a menu and then a little code example but it doesnt really show how would u select an option and make the option that you have selected active. Well, It's meant 2 show just little bits of it, But im lookin for a book that lets me go in to the 3d world of game development and that focuses on charecter movemnet, menus and has everything connected, even if its a book on how 2 make a simple 3d adventure game that would be helpful it will help me understand more on how 2 have everything developmet, I can program a Tic Tac Toe Game :-) in 2 hours, but again its a text version. The book im talkin bout is some wat based on "Game Programming for Teens" But thats in BASIC I want in C++ ( at the end of the book or almost it goes thru steps by steps and develops the game) Any Ideas? that would be helpful
Advertisement
Ok, have you even grasped the 2D concepts of game programming? If you haven't, I 'd suggest you do so, or you'll be in stuff way above your head. If you still wont' take my advice, Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus is pretty good at telling you how everythign should work in 3D. BTW, menu's are not something that are 3D...menus are 2D..
GOOGLE, that and the string "Mode13h" is all I had when I started out to learn graphics.The internet is the best source for any info you want.

First you will have to decide in what you want to program (not the lang exactly,but the api or mode) like opengl,directx,mode13h,svga etc.

Once you have a way to put pixels to the screen,there you go,you are half way to you first game.

Then go looking for information on the internet for what every you need.

In C++,you have a lot of options.As for 3D go slowly and get fimiliar with 2D before going to 3D.Direct entry will only confuse and discourage you.Hey, there's no problem in look at info though.

Best of luck,you are about to enter a new world

Links
Mode13h Programming
OpenGL
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
any suggestions on books tho? no, actualy 2 start out with 2d games would be a great leap from text 2 graphics any ideas on what books not internet. Hmm is there a way that i can connect direct X images with the C++ programing?
Quote:Original post by Charles Hwang
Ok, have you even grasped the 2D concepts of game programming? If you haven't, I 'd suggest you do so, or you'll be in stuff way above your head. If you still wont' take my advice, Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus is pretty good at telling you how everythign should work in 3D. BTW, menu's are not something that are 3D...menus are 2D..

This is only a side note.

Menus are all but 2D. A menu is an abstract object from wich we can pick on entry, which is often mapped to a particular function. We choose to represent it as a 2D hierarhical view but this is only a representation. GUI evolves every year (think to the radial menu concept) and I'm pretty sure that we'll find a full 3D representation of menu some day (well... I hope too :)

Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement