• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Classes

This topic is 4937 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a general (noobish, I'm not quiet good in C++) question, how to do something like this in C++: class A { B cClassB; }; class B { A cClassA; }; From what I know this generates an error. Is there any way to do this?

Advertisement

// Predeclare classes
class A;
class B;

class A
{
B *b;
}

class B
{
A *a;
}

You need to predeclare your classes before you use them, otherwise you'd have a non resolvable circular dependency. Have a look at This thread for a related problem you may encounter (classes in separate files).

Usually if you have this situation it is a result of poor design and you need to re-examine on overall structure of your classes. But if you need to do it you can do it like:

// Basically says "This class *will* exist somewhere"
class B;

class A
{
B* classB;
};

class B
{
A* classA;
};

Note that they have to be pointers.

----------
Andrew

Correction there; at least one must be a pointer. (But usually it makes more sense for them to both be pointers, at least IME.)

The problem with having actual objects in both classes is a logical one: What would 'sizeof' either class be? Each contains some data, plus *itself* (via the 'other' class containing the 'other other' class, which is the current one), which recurses infinitely. A pointer is a fixed-size thing which can be invalid or point back at a previously-defined object, as needed, so that avoids the problem.

In Java, you can certainly do what you posted - but that's because there are pointers being used behind the scenes :) Different object semantics.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement