BBS (..............)

Started by
17 comments, last by FireNet 19 years, 7 months ago
BBS, read about them here,read about them there.Seen stuff about in tuts (old ones,from the age of vga).So what are/were they.For what I could see, they used to something common whay back then. What happended to them?Are there still existing ones?Accessable over the internet? Honestly, they are a bit of a vague thing.Anyone here ever used these?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
Advertisement
Bulliten Board Systems I think, much like Forums or IRC although I dont know for sure.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Back in the day before the Internet was widely available people used to set them selves up servers (BBS). So they would have a modem pool you could dial into and upload/download stuff like games and texts. Normally a community would have a couple of 'geeks' that ran one of these since it was over the phone line ( ie long distance charges if you wanted to connect to a far-away BBS ).

In many ways it was the precursor to the web.

----------
Andrew
Bulletin Board Systems,yea right.Look to google.

Here a nice FAQ I found.

BBS FAQ (big)

They still exist or operate nowadays,which are publically accesable?, via telnet or something.For what I have read people used to have as much fun and talk as we have had on the fourms which are so common now.It seems it was something wonderful for them.Got me intrested anyway.It's something a bit fimiliar but still strange.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
BBS is a bulletin Board System, which was a popular way to network computers in the '80s. A SysOp would purchase a modem and allow people to dial up directly to his computer. No ISP required.

You can then use an intra-board emails and discuss things in several forums. Sometimes, several boards would combine and allow you to send emails throughout those boards. BBSes also allowed file access, with different user permissions. So the elite got more files than the n00bs.

BBS also had games called Door games, which were games you could play against other members of the BBS. Either an AI would play as other members when you ran into them or else you would be sleeping. Expecially since the majority of BBSes allowed only one connection, while a maximum of 8 connections was avalible, but rare as hell. (8 modems, blazing 14.4 speed!)

They still exist, although they're not the same as they once were. The file transfer part of BBSing and to a lesser extent the game aspect of BBSes are now the main focus, while the community has taken a back seat.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
i used to love BBSes... i remember being pissed at my mother for picking up the phone to call someone when i was right in the middle of doing something :)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Tradewars anyone?
Hell, yes. Tradewars and LORD.
ah, tradewars... that was the aforementioned "something" i was talking about (but i couldn't remember the name).
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Yeah, the doors were great stuff Yankee Trader, LORD, The Pit... Those were the days.
Or what? You'll send the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees and when they bark they shoot bees at you?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement