Sign in to follow this  

Looking to build a game and hoping to get some advice

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am a 4th year prospective computer programmer. I am fluent in Java and adequate in C programming. Finally I am setting out to indulge myself in the world of game programming. I have always loved simulation games like the Championship Manager series or the International Cricket Captain series. I am hoping to make a game along those lines. Basically a simulation game where the player takes over as manager of a cricker or football team. While I have been spending excessive amount of time here reading up on articles etc I am hoping to get more specific details from you. 1) What environment should I create my game in. I am good in java and am hoping to settle for a more java based program. VB which is for C just doesn't cut it for me. 2) I have been advised to search for mods, fellow people who have an active interest in building this game with me, can pm me accordingly. As above, my main convern is the environment to build my game. Cam someone please recommend me what sort of tools, I'd have to use to build a good graphical interface over a game engine which will most probably be Java. Thanks

Hi!

Well, first, take a sheet of paper, and draw your game. Litteraly! Draw some screens that the player can see, draw a sketch of the game structure. If you are unsure about some things, try anyway.

Then, look at your pictures, and find the constraints: do you have a lot of complicated interfaces? Do you think you will be hard on the CPU? What kind of resources do you need?

I'm not very familiar with sports team management games, but I can imagine this type of game is mainly a good user interface, with a big database, and a simulation engine that runs alone to tell you wether you team win or not. In this case, that means that your game should not be too hard with the CPU, but you will probably need some quite complicated graphical user interface, with lists, checkboxes, and so on.

Since you are fluent in Java, maybe you should use that language to make your game, relying on the Swing GUI. This way, you will be able to quickly build your interface, and work on your engine and database.

Good luck for your game!

Quote:
Original post by small_duck
Hi!

Well, first, take a sheet of paper, and draw your game. Litteraly! Draw some screens that the player can see, draw a sketch of the game structure. If you are unsure about some things, try anyway.

Then, look at your pictures, and find the constraints: do you have a lot of complicated interfaces? Do you think you will be hard on the CPU? What kind of resources do you need?

I'm not very familiar with sports team management games, but I can imagine this type of game is mainly a good user interface, with a big database, and a simulation engine that runs alone to tell you wether you team win or not. In this case, that means that your game should not be too hard with the CPU, but you will probably need some quite complicated graphical user interface, with lists, checkboxes, and so on.

Since you are fluent in Java, maybe you should use that language to make your game, relying on the Swing GUI. This way, you will be able to quickly build your interface, and work on your engine and database.

Good luck for your game!

WOW fast response.

Thank you.

For starters I have a 100 page notebook in which I have scribbled everything from game outlook, game design, game structure, test screens etc. I tell you - every page has information I hope to incorporate into this game.

While I am a realist, and know I won't be able to compete with the likes of CM or FM, I still want to get off the ground with a good solid game.

The CPU usage I believe will not be too much of a problem. Coming to Swing GUI. I have worked with it,only partially, but is this the best tool currently available to Java programmers. How does it compare to VB. After a quick search I found there were quite a few books on swing, do you which ones might be really good.

Thanks a lot.

Make sure you pick a good database management tool (or make your own), I would think such games probably require more read/write times to the hard drive then cpu - especially loading a saved game.

Is it going to be a football sim, a different sport or something else?

Quote:
Original post by Interesting Dave
Make sure you pick a good database management tool (or make your own), I would think such games probably require more read/write times to the hard drive then cpu - especially loading a saved game.

Is it going to be a football sim, a different sport or something else?

haven't decided as of yet, but I think it might be either Basket ball or Cricket.

What sort of database management tool would you recommend?

Well, I know nothing on VB (really nothing!!), so, I suppose it could be a good solution, but IMHO Java is great! Swing looks nice to me, but it is the only GUI I tried with Java. I know there are some others.

About database, this is definitely one major component of your game. Maybe you should try to use a third party database, such as MS Acess or MySQL.

Am working on a similar game myself!

As far as a DB goes, I'm currently using MS Access, but I've isolated all the data management so that I can effectively plug in another database at a later stage with a minimal amount of recoding.

As far as language goes, I started off writing it in C++ and have now ported it across to C#. If you know Java then you'll find C# is reasonably similar.
Advantages are that the WinForms stuff is a lot easier to use than Swing (IMHO, that is) and if you want to do your UI from scratch then DirectX is quite doable with C# (I'm not sure how easy java deals with the various grahpical api's out there).

Still, if you stick with java but head down the right track (design-wise) then if you ever decide to change languages then you'll probably only need to ditch your UI code...

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.