VS6 Freeze on Link

Started by
3 comments, last by necreia 19 years, 8 months ago
This has been a problem for a long time now... but it's become now it has made it so I cannot complete a required task. The problem is 'simple' but kind of hard to nail down what's happening. The issue comes when I try to compile something (anything), it freezes when it gets to the 'linking...' step. It happens when: 1) Usually when I compile without cleaning first, just try to rebuild or quick build 2) Sometimes if there are errors such as, I declared a member function different then I defined it 3) Almost always.. no matter what I do.. when I try to compile a Console app. Now I have Enterp edition, and it kept doing this. For testing sake I put on a professional and it did it too! (after removing the other)... so I'm at a big loss at what to do. Until now I have been dealing with it, but I can now not build my debugging tool I wrote in console and it's very bothersome, anyone have any information on this problem? NOTE: By freeze I mean, the program 'responds', if I try to close it suggests that I stop the build process before doing so. But I cannot stop it (I click the button, or perform the key+command stroke for it) simply has no effect... the only way to shut down and open again is to destroy it's thread in Task Manager. Thanks for your help in advanced.
Advertisement
Sorry to bump, but giving it another try... anyone have any insight on this problem?
Hmmm... I have seen this before. Sometimes it can be an antivirus program running. Or maybe a re-install, and then install latest service packs might help.
I'd recommend installing the latest service pack (6), if you don't have it already. If that doesn't work, try to repair the installation.

On a sidenote, have you installed the express beta on that machine? This broke things on a couple of computers here.

Always the simple things... installing the SP is what fixed it.

Nope, I did not ever have a beta version on this computer.

Thanks a whole lot for all your help! This saves me a lot of headache now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement