Sign in to follow this  

How to make textures?

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Paint them?

Generally I unwrap my model first using Lithunwrap to get a flattened version of the model. I then use this as a template to paint my textures on in my favourite paint program, loading it into my modeller (Milkshape 3D) at each stage to see how it looks. I followed the tutorials on Psionic 3d Game resources for guidance on unwrapping and texturing as I found them to be quite useful.

I used to use paint / paint shop pro / whatever, and save them as PNG (reducing to 8-bit if there wasn't a noticible quality difference). Then use D3DXLoadTextureFromFileEx() to load the texture.
Now I have a pak file format that supports BZ2 compression, and I just save .bmp files and compress them into my pak file. The compression with BZ2 is usually as good if not better than PNGs. Then I use D3DXLoadTextureFromMemoryEx() to load the texture.

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.