• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cdrw

i have 1000 lines of code that.............

This topic is 5081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

took me six hours to do and i DONT want to see if it works right, im hiding from it, wheres that directx9 project around here that incorporated animated x files?(it used the same character as in the directx sdk, if someone shows me i might do a tutorial on loading them)

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by cdrw
took me six hours to do and i DONT want to see if it works right,

heh, how do you write 1000 lines of code without testing it along the way? that's insane.

-me

Quote:
Original post by cdrw
its all compiles in its header file,

but i dont call the main function

ya but that's what i mean. generally in 1000 lines of code there are components that can be unit tested as you develop them. like input parsing, loading, processing, drawing, whatever. as you develop each small piece you can test that rather than just coding the entire thing and then only testing when everything is there. whatever, i'd just run it and start the debugging festival. :)

-me

what im most worred about is how i hooked up things like the device caps, the timer, and the backbuffer structure,

all new things to me,

just cause i seemed to initialize and store the the backbuffer and device caps, doesnt mean i did it right,

and the timer,

new things

and then theres the bulk of the code,

which i dont know why something would be buggy there,
cause i got it from somwhere else.

where be the code!
(heh)
bring on the file!

I think Palidines trying to say you should really think about debugging your code as you go, if theres something in the bulk of your code that effects the backbuffer, you could be looking through the backbuffer code for ages when the problem isnt there at all.

well, they say there's, on average, one bug for every 10 lines of code written, so looks like it's a nice long debugging festival for ya. :)

-me

Quote:
Original post by Palidine
well, they say there's, on average, one bug for every 10 lines of code written, so looks like it's a nice long debugging festival for ya. :)

-me

Really? I probably single handedly effect those averages with the amount of bugs I usually write...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!