Sign in to follow this  

Problems with 3DS 5.0, Textures & Tiling

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi @ll, when I create a model in 3D Studio with a texture tiled over it 4 times in each direction, convert it to *.x via Panda Exporter ( which seems to work very well ) and display it with DX9 ( the source code is absolutely ok ), instead of having the texture tiled it simply is mapped just once over the whole target. Example: Imagine a stone wall. I tiled the texture several times so the dimensions of stones and the wall as a whole looked just right. But after the model is loaded the texture is stretched over the wall just a single time, making the wall look like it was built with gigantic bricks. Can anybody provide some help ? Thanx, Leoric

Hi,

I assign a material and IN the material-editor I set the texture-tiling, so I guess I tile to the material.

What's the difference between applying tiling to the material or the model ?

Bye, Leoric

Well, here's the deal. The texture export component of Panda Exporter probably doesn't support tiling. So you have a couple of options:

1. Manually change the tiling of the exported material. This is just a matter of changing the texture matrix.

2. Tile instead by changing the texture mapping of the object itself. Just use a smaller rectangle as the area for your material, and it'll tile around it.

If you have a specialized material (ie bricks, checker, noise), you can't just export it, because it's not a file-based texture. Instead, it's generated by a 3ds Max algorithm at run-time.

But, you *can* make it into a file-based texture - you just have to use the 'Render-to-Texture' (aka Texture Baking) feature. Here is a pretty good tutorial on it.

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.