Sign in to follow this  

[web] Question about about tables and how far they span

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a new layout for my website (which seriously needs a new one) and so far this is what I have: Clicky Now, on the left side where the navigation bar is located, how can I have that table span downwards towards the bottom of the page? Same goes for the table on the right side (which still needs a load of work). Is that possible? EDIT: Here's also the rather crude image I made in Paint that I'm sort of working off.

For tables, you could use the deprecated height="100%" tag. But other than that, you dont' have many options if you plan to use only css. You could use min-height to specify a minimum height, which should be sufficient.

[never tried it]Actually, I've read that removing a doctype will allow height: 100% in CSS to work.[/never tried it]

Now if you're going to blab on to me about how IE dosen't support min-height, shut it. There's a pretty equivalent "hack" that will allow IE users to view with a minimum height.

If you place a
height:100%;
in your body CSS class, as well as one in your HTML class, the same tag should work in your
div.sidebar
class (eg: you have to set the height in all parent containers). However, I've found that this tends to make your sidebar extend further down than wanted, should you happen to have distance between the top of the sidebar, and the top of your page.

Been awhile since I had to do this.

edit: after looking at your site, it appears as if your sidebar will extend as content is added to your site...

Yes, Katta. I realized that about 30 minutes ago. I just set the valign to top and the background to the item class colors and everything was fine. I can't believe how unseeing I was with this.

I could tell you more than one story about me spending a day banging my head over what turned out to be a simple problem. Heh, I guess you need at least one of those per week before you can call it a good week.

You really need to diversify your colors. Right now it kind of warps my head to look at the page. If you are trying to go for a blue theme, then you should do so with some fairly textured images to better contrast the different subdivisions of the page.

[EDIT] This is probably partly due to my *wonderful* flatscreen monitor, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Original post by Thunder_Hawk
You really need to diversify your colors. Right now it kind of warps my head to look at the page. If you are trying to go for a blue theme, then you should do so with some fairly textured images to better contrast the different subdivisions of the page.

Yes, I'm highly aware of that. Right now I'm just trying to get the layout itself done. Then I'm gonna mess around with the colors and such. If you have any suggestions, they are gladly welcomed.

Quote:
Original post by Charles Hwang
Now if you're going to blab on to me about how IE dosen't support min-height, shut it. There's a pretty equivalent "hack" that will allow IE users to view with a minimum height.

And that's exactly what it is, a hack. I don't really agree with hacking websites together and avoiding the standards. Adhering closely to the standards is the best chance you have to ensuring your site is correctly viewable in all browsers now and in the future.

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.