#define macro with variable args

Started by
6 comments, last by bobstevens 19 years, 8 months ago
Is there any way, in C, to define a macro that takes a variable amount of arguments? Something like

#define mac(func,args)   \       
func(args);

(only not)? I'm getting no from everyone I ask but perhaps someone here can bend the laws of the universe.
Advertisement
Variadic macros are not standard. Check your preprocessor's documentation to see it it supports them. (AFAIK, gcc does, MSVC doesn't).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Variadic macros are not standard.

Oh, ok. That pretty much somes it up as I can't write something specific to my compiler. Thanks a lot. (I'll look up "Variadic macros" out of interest in any event out of curiosity.)
Variadic macros are not standard. Check your preprocessor's documentation to see it it supports them. (AFAIK, gcc does, MSVC doesn't).

If I recall correctly, they are a standard feature of C99. I guess it depends which C he's talking about...
Quote:Original post by Null and Void

If I recall correctly, they are a standard feature of C99. I guess it depends which C he's talking about...

I'm writing in VS.net 2003 at present. However, that's not the only implementation, nor the only platform that this may be used for. With the actual terminology at my disposal a quick google would appear indicate that they are in fact not implemented in VS.

Thanks again.
Hi,

Well, I think macros are evil any way, but still I believe you can do what you are trying to do there without any variadic macro stuff. It's really easy actually:

#define MAC(func, args) func args; /* Note no parens */void macro_test() {  /* A function with no args: */  MAC(noargfunc, ());  /* A function with one arg: */  MAC(oneargfunc, (foo));  /* A function with many args: */  MAC(manyargfunc, (foo, bar, baz));  /* A function with *gasp* variable args */  MAC(printf, ("Hello, %s\n", foo));}

Then, if we run that source through the pre-processor, then what we get is this:

# 1 "test.c"# 1 "<built-in>"# 1 "<command line>"# 1 "test.c"void macro_test() {  noargfunc ();;  oneargfunc (foo);;  manyargfunc (foo, bar, baz);;  printf ("Hello, %s\n", foo);;}

(I did that with gcc.)

Note of course that I accidentally put a semi-colon in the macro definition, and after macro calls, so there are two after each function call, but whatever. It'll work. ;)

Note also, that here's where the fact that macros is evil comes in. If you don't call the macro like this: MAC(name, (params)) - but do like this: MAC(name, params) - then everything will go to hell, and you will be beating your head against the wall trying to debug that. ;)

Vovan
Vovan
vovansim, I think you've done it. It's what I had for one of my test, save for the lack of parentheses in the macro definition of
func args;

Superb.

I'm still hampered in another case with the lack of true variable amount of params, but that solves one instance.

Thanks.
Quote:Original post by Null and Void

You recall correctly:

#define DEBUGF(f,...) (fprintf(dbgf, "%s(): ", f), fprintf(dbgf, __VA_ARGS__))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement