FreePop 0.5.0 released

Started by
1 comment, last by Doc 19 years, 8 months ago
FreePop is a game inspired by the classic Populous series by Bullfrog. The FreePop 0.5.0 release has a number of major internal changes. The system has now been separated into client and server programs, allowing networking and multiplay. Also, FreePop has migrated to using the ClanLib 0.7 libraries, allowing for much faster development in the future. Many internal annoyances have been cleaned up. You can download it here. The homepage is here. (I've been having trouble with my net connection, so the homepage has yet to be updated for this release.) It's currently only suited towards a Unix environment. If you're at all interested in helping to get a Windows build going, please send me a PM. It's been a long time since the last release. There are few user changes other than separate client/server programs - most of the work done is internal. Anyone who is interested in the progress of this project is encouraged to download and test the new version. Queries and comments can be sent to the freepop mailing list (freepop-devel@lists.sourceforge.net). Please feel free to comment.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Advertisement
Wow, I didn't know the developer of that was on gamedev.

Well, I'll offer my honest evaluation, which I made a month or so ago when I had the massive desire to suddenly play Pop2 again. AND I COULDN'T FIND THE CD IT WAS ON! (I think my cousin stole it because it also had Ultima7. That bastard.)

Anyway. You care too much about technical details and not enough about playable game. (afaict) I don't know if you even have the people walking around the world yet, but you've gone through several libraries changes, haven't you?

I used to do the same thing, rework the core without ever adding the "fringe" stuff that actually makes the program useful... I got over it by forcing myself to jsut work with the confusing ugly mess of a piece of crap that I had sitting in front of me, and suddenly I had a playable game and it didn't matter anymore.

I think there's a grey area between the Fun of writing the core, and the Fun of writing the game: the Not Fun of writing the game logic that builds on the core, but doesn't visibly make the game work yet.
Yes, you're right, and I totally agree. *me looks down to the ground looking ashamed* This is the last lib change I'm going to make. I'm very pleased with ClanLib, and all future dev will be focused on the actual game.

BTW: I have peeps moving around the map, and building little towns. Unfortunately, programmers art sucks. [wink]
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement