Sign in to follow this  

Windows Programming Books

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just took a one year, high school, DOS based C++ course. They didn't teach a single thing on windows programming, which I would like to learn. I was looking at some books on windows programming, but I could'nt decide on which one to get. I'm looking for a book that will teach me from the beginning-literally. I know the basic stuff, but nothing with dynamically allocated memory, though I could probably learn it quickly. So, bascially, I'm looking at a book to teach me this. I was looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672323699/qid=1092963645/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2254223-1068034?v=glance&s=books but I don't know if it's good. If anyone has read it (or any books they think might help me), please post. Sorry if this post is in the worng place, I didn't see a "Books" forum, but if there is one, sorry. I scrolled really quickly, as it's almost sleep-time. :)

If you're looking solely to learn more about programming for Windows, may I suggest this book? The reviews are very good, and a couple of my friends also have the book and have always raved as to how good it is.

It isn't aimed at game development, though, if that's what you're after. However, you'll certainly have a much better grasp on Windows after reading it.

-hellz

Quote:
Original post by hellz
If you're looking solely to learn more about programming for Windows, may I suggest this book? The reviews are very good, and a couple of my friends also have the book and have always raved as to how good it is.

Hmm.. I should take a look if the library has the book :)

Quote:
Original post by Bovine13
WOW! everyone loved that bok, sccording to the reviews. Thanks hellz.

~Bovine

No problem. To be honest, you won't need too much WinAPI knowledge to get enough to work with writing a game, but the extra information is a great thing to have, especially with the more obscure features of Windows. This way, you can buy a book that's specifically dedicated to game programming, which might suit you better if that's the path you choose to take. [smile]

-hellz

P.S. Check out the Books link at the top of the page. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by SoftZ
Hmm.. I should take a look if the library has the book :)

lol, my local library has virtually nothing in it in terms of programming books; it's actually pretty disappointing.

-hellz

Quote:
Original post by hellz

It isn't aimed at game development, though, if that's what you're after. However, you'll certainly have a much better grasp on Windows after reading it.

-hellz

I agree that it is a very good book, but like hellz pointed out, it isn't aimed at game development. If you want to plunge right into game developement then I would suggest Windows Game Programming for Dummies 2nd Edition by Andre LaMothe. He also wrote Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus 2nd Edition. (which you were planning on getting) TWGPG is a great book, that is if you already have expirience in game programming, and if you don't then I would go with Windows Game Programming for Dummies 2nd Edition.

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.