[web] Where to go?

Started by
9 comments, last by evolutional 19 years, 8 months ago
Where to go after html and css? What other things do what? Other than server code i mean.
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You cannot pass!|Smeagol: We don't need you!|Sloth: Hey you guys!|
Advertisement
well for web based client-side stuff you still have: &#106avascript, flash (including action-script), java applets.

but, IMHO, that stuff gets pretty boring really fast, so i'd move either to Java or C/C++ and get to work either on server-side stuff or just straight up applications programming, or better yet _GAME_ programming. I mean this _is_ a game site after all... :)

why the aversion to server-side code? you can set your own machine up to run it very easily, and you can start doing interesting things that way instead of just displaying things in a browser...

-me
I tried setting it up i dont have a server. I was using running an apache server from my pc. I then learned some cgi (not much) but eventually i decided to take it off because it mega slowed down my computer. BTW all i messed with was using cgi and &#106avascript to make forms that submit email to my email when a user types something in the box and presses send. I REALLY want to become a good web developer but i just dont know how to start. HTML I learned and all my websites looked so shitty. CSS made things a little better but still the websites were BORING. Also I know c++ and java already =D I can program pretty well in c++ (not enough to make a good game) and java i just have taken a crappy noob course in highschool. I want to learn some webdevelopment. I dont have flash nor do i desire to use it =D I just want to make websites that look good. Help someone?!
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You cannot pass!|Smeagol: We don't need you!|Sloth: Hey you guys!|
HTML, CSS, and a few images used sparingly will make a very attractive website. It's all in the wrist, as they say, it's part artistic and part function.

Practice makes perfect. If you can link to some work you've done, perhaps we can point out problems?
[Slime] I saw a headline on the newspaper today: "Horrific Rape in Alley", or something.[Slime] I was like "Is there any other kind of rape?"[Slime] "HILARIOUS RAPE AS CLOWN SODOMIZED"
Well, after you learn html and css, you probably want to learn some more dynamic principles to add and enhance your knowledge of html and css. I'd suggest you learn a server side scripting langugae such as ASP or PHP. A whole new world opens with one of these in your utility belt. Other than that, there's not much else. As others suggested, &#106avascript will come in handy for a lot of little things, and flash will add some "pizzaz" to your website. First thing's first though, have you made a website? If not, do so. And it might be worth it going into the art of aesthetically pleasing colors and how the brain reads a site. It helps when you consider designs for your site.
I have made sites but they aren't pretty. I have made them with tables frames and everything else i know how and they all come out ugly. Working but ugly. I want to know how to make these smooth looking webpages. Also i took a look at your webpage its smooth and the navigator is nice looking how how how?
The CSS property
border:1px solid #000000;
is your friend for making borders smooth.

To make the website smooth, you need a good perception of what you want. Mock it up in your preferred image-editing program first, and then make the transition to code.
[Slime] I saw a headline on the newspaper today: "Horrific Rape in Alley", or something.[Slime] I was like "Is there any other kind of rape?"[Slime] "HILARIOUS RAPE AS CLOWN SODOMIZED"
Ok i have my mock up (made with paint =D) But I dont know how i would make it so that the edges are round instead of pointed. =D Someone gimme an aim to see my sweet layout lol =D
To round corners, you have several options. The one I use most is to have a table, with three cells, like so:
- - - - - - - -|             |- - - - - - - -|             ||             ||             ||             ||             |- - - - - - - -|             |- - - - - - - -

In the top cell you place the top of your border. IN the center cell, set the background image to an image with two lines on either side (your borders), and in the bottom cell you place a mirror image of your top border.

Then you set the table's border to 0, the cell spacing and padding to 0, and you have a basic border. You can do a lot with that, but the biggest problem is that you can't expand the cell very wide, or your border will go out of whack. If you need an expandable border, you'll need to have three columns in the top and bottom cells, where each corner cell contains a rounded image, and the middle cells have a background image.

Here is a good tutorial.
Quote:Original post by SSJCORY
I have made sites but they aren't pretty. I have made them with tables frames and everything else i know how and they all come out ugly. Working but ugly. I want to know how to make these smooth looking webpages. Also i took a look at your webpage its smooth and the navigator is nice looking how how how?

First of all, I've been at this for years. You should have seen my first webpage ever. I just crap my pants just thinking about it :/ I've read articles all over the web about, as I repeat, the pleasing aspects of visual media which includes colors, element placement, and so forth. You might want to google for some, I have no links :/ And practice makes perfect. Make a website, dont' like it? Make another one. Again and again. You should see how many versions I went through, some of which I posted for critique on these boards (so many, I'm ashamed). If you include my curretn webpage itself, that went through 6 revisions as stated in teh "about". If you count monkeyhumor, wachar's eternity, 40+ designs. Just for a personal site.

Images also make or break a website. Get a decent image editing software, NOT MSPAINT. Photoshop is basically your bread-and-butter application. I recommend you start learning how to use it now.

About the curved corners, if you look at my site, and right click on one of the corners, you'll be able to "view image", and you'll see its' a square image with the curve, just floated left/right. I've seen others and if you want borders, you'll probably need full border images like Katta explained.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement