Sign in to follow this  

moding

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a student coder aspiring to game developer and I want to learn how to mod. Where do I go? What's a good site? How do you do it? What do you use? I know C but do you need DirectX? What games can or cant I mod? What do I do?

You'll need a game that has at least an SDK (for a decent mod at least) - which is a Software Development Kit. An SDK will usually include some source code for the game, some tools for model conversion etc. Its unlikely you'll need the Graphics API knowledge as the SDK probably wont allow you to edit the core code, but some graphics will be involved.

My fav game - Savage: The Battle for Newerth - has a SDK (betaish) and thats completely in C.
Savage is a RTS/FPS multiplayer mix (where 2 people are commanders the rest are 'units'). You can try the demo from www.s2games.com/savage/downloads.html
[/end pimpage]

Games like Quake 3 and Unreal seem to have the biggest mod communities as far as I can tell so modding for them shouldnt be to hard to get started.

try Code 3 Arena as it is a very good resources for coding for a Quake 3 mod.

Unreal (or UT200X) is a very good starting point as you can make simple mods in under 50 lines. However, modding unreal is different to modding any other game as it was built to be multi-moddable from the ground up.

A good way to get involved is to join a mod team. Pick a moddable game and go into the development forums and have a talk to some of the mo people. They typically want experience, but if you are dedicated enough you'll probably find a spot, especially if you have other skills such as mapmaking or moddeling.

Thank you. All very helpfull.

It may be a dream but I've always wanted to mess with the code of a game like Vice City; making up different missions and creating different game mechanics. Is that at all possible? Or perhaps more importantly, is it in the range of a student CompSci major?

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.