Tools i need to develop a 3D game

Started by
7 comments, last by FireNet 19 years, 8 months ago
my tools list is as follows: -Dev-C++ -DirectX SDK(DX8.1 because my PC doesn't support DX9) -Milkshape what else i need?
Advertisement
Time
Something to edit textures (2d art) with

Depends what kinda game really
Roger that, lets run like hell!
Depends, if you can draw get the gimp witch is a free paint program that rivals paintshop pro(well maybe it worse but its definently good). If you cant you can do what I do and use free textures found on the internet or use paint.

And the last thing you need right next to time is skill and motivaion.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
so which tool is used for making a Models, and which tool is used for making Maps?
suggest the tool's name ,plz
as far as models go, I would probably stick with milkshape for now. its simple to use. later, you could use more advance modelers like caligari truespace, 3d studio max, lightwave, etc. as far as map editors go, I have never seen a stand alone mapeditor designed for making 3d games. you should probably try to use a map editor from a pre made game like quake or half life. hope that helped!
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
well for 2d you'll need a freeware program(ok, photoshop is best but it isn't free, very expensive). the best freeware is gimp 2. very good, and if you're familiar with photoshop u will learn it fast. next, for 3d modelling, 3ds max is best but it's expensive, for free i coose gmax, with some exporters in max script. there are a lot and it's not a big deal to write one on your own. the problem is if u want to make a game where u have to build maps and things u will really need a map editor, usually build up by u. another option if u use milkshape is to use some world editor asociated with it.
I built my own map editor for a simple Doom-alike engine (developing for VB6/DirectX8). Until then, develop a simple enough map file format so you can create basic maps in Notepad.
For model editing Milkshape is gold, mainly because all I did was import existing 3D models from games like Quake3 and export them as .X files. After all, I wasn't making much of a game, just mucking around with the idea of a 3D Doom engine.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

you can use Terragen : http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/ for building your 3d world ... There are tutorials on terragen for creating height maps, using textures and such ...
Blender 3D

It's great for creating cool artwork,textures,models etc.It's totally free too.Offers you a lot of power and flexibility once you get the hang of it.

You can do a lot of stuff with it,and you can get hold of lota exporter plugins which export to common formats like 3dmax's

Yea,gimp too.

Blender
GIMP
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement