Sign in to follow this  

paint?

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Uncompressed bitmap code is VERY easy to read. Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins present such code in their "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" book, worthwhile if you wish to start graphics programming in OpenGL (I say graphics programming because their book has little or no game content). If you wish to learn more about OpenGL programming (including using bitmap images in your games) then head on over to NeHe. It won't show you how to make games, but it does a good job of teaching OpenGL graphics.

As red_sodium said, there's many ways to load images though, it mainly depends on the library you're using and the tools you have available. Check out libraries such as SDL and Allegro which provide image loading capabilities.

A lot libraries will come with a tutorial page on the website which steps you through installing to basic use of the library.

For example, SDL Tutorials and SDL Articles both discuss in detail how to use SDL to create games and use images, etc.

Similarly, Allegro also has a Tutorials page, which supplies articles such as How to write PONG in Allegro.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is persevere. Perseverence and the wish to learn is are two of the greatest assets a game programmer can have [smile]

what graphics lib is best for a beginner? the windows console of course =).

but seriously, learn to program first. once you can program, either Allegro or SDL would be perfect for you. I'd personally go with SDL, but ive heard great things about Allegro also. cone 3d is where i learned how to use SDL to make graphics. once you can move bitmaps around the screen, it shouldnt be too hard to figure out how to make a pong clone. from there your imagination is the limit!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi, (i think) nearly every one here spent at least a couple months just learning the basics of the language, c++ or what ever, this is done in the console, ie like an old msdos (small black window thing), with just text- no graphics or any thing. That might sound boring, but even that is fun, you can learn small programs, how to print some thing on the screen, how to get keyboard input. Learn how to do some small classes, learn all the basics, including librarys, or rather what they are and what they do.
The first libray (if doing C++) you might want to know about is , Iostream is a pre-written lot of code, that amongst other things handles getting input from your keyboard and displaying it in the window.

hope this helped, ask some more if you need to

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by doody
Once you learn C or the basics of C++ allegro is a very good way to start with graphics. You can download allegro from http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ You might as well get DJGPP while you're there. Just click on the "Zip-Picker" link and it will tell you what to d/l. Once you've done that here are a couple of links for you:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days

Loomsoft Allegro Newbie Tutorial

- Stephen

Just so you know, odds are, that link to "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" is an illegal one, because I have the book, and I am most certain that it is copyrighted material, not for free distribution on the net.. Just FYI.

Removed.

I'm not posting anymore links. I apparently said the wrong thing in a previous post and was given a "warning for advocating software piracy." Now I'll probably get another warning for "advocating pirated books."

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.