Sign in to follow this  

std::cout syncronization in multithreading

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm writing a multithreaded text application in Win32, C++ and STLport, using std::cout for text output. The output stream is not automatically synchronized and I get messy outputs like: Thread1 code: cout << "Hello" << endl; Thread2 code: cout << "World!" << endl; Output: HeWlorlld!o There is a simply way to make it synchronized? Thanks.

It's not exactly simple, in that it isn't transparent, but you could create a few simple little classes like so:

class c_Mutex
{
public:
c_Mutex();
~c_Mutex();
void Enter();
bool TryEnter();
void Leave();

protected:
CRITICAL_SECTION mCriticalSection;
};

class c_Mutex_Lock
{
public:
c_Mutex_Lock(c_Mutex* pMutex);
~c_Mutex_Lock();

protected:
c_Mutex* mpMutex;
};

c_Mutex::c_Mutex()
{
InitializeCriticalSection(&mCriticalSection);
}

c_Mutex::~c_Mutex()
{
DeleteCriticalSection(&mCriticalSection);
}

void c_Mutex::Enter()
{
EnterCriticalSection(&mCriticalSection);
}

bool c_Mutex::TryEnter()
{
return TryEnterCriticalSection(&mCriticalSection) != FALSE;
}

void c_Mutex::Leave()
{
LeaveCriticalSection(&mCriticalSection);
}

c_Mutex_Lock::c_Mutex_Lock(c_Mutex* pMutex)
{
mpMutex = pMutex;
if (mpMutex != NULL)
mpMutex->Enter();
}

c_Mutex_Lock::~c_Mutex_Lock()
{
if (mpMutex != NULL)
{
mpMutex->Leave();
}
}

Then you can create a global somewhere, call it something like gOutMutex. In your source code, when you want to print something out, put all the std::cout statements in an extra set of curly braces, and declare a c_Mutex_Lock object at th top:

c_Mutex gOutMutex;

int main()
{
//Start threads here...

{
c_Mutex_Lock OutLock(&gOutMutex);
std::cout << "Blah" << std::endl;
std::cout << "More Blah" << std::endl;
std::cout << "Final Blah" << std::endl;
}

return 0;
};

The c_Mutex_Lock object will lock the c_Mutex object on creation, and when it goes out of scope (at the end of the block), it will unlock the c_Mutex object. It is safe even against exceptions, since the c_Mutex_Object's destructor will be called then as well. It adds a few lines to every time you want to print stuff out, but it gets the job done.

Quote:
Original post by Stoffel
Also, I believe cout is internally synchronized, so you can just make sure you write to a single formatted string first, then put that string out to cout in one call.
In my experience (with VC++'s implementation, using the multithreaded library) this is not the case. Somehow it manages to not only get characters from two different threads mixed together (even if each thread only uses a single << operator), but often seems to grab one character from each thread, alternating back and forth perfectly. Maybe other implementations handle this better...

Thanks Agony, I like your solution. I was thinking something similar but you did it better :)

Oh, I forgot.. I'm using STLport with the _STLP_NO_OWN_IOSTREAMS option. This option disable the use of STLport iostreams and use wrappers around compiler's iostreams, in my case VC++. Maybe with STLport iostreams, cout is automatically synchronized.. I have to try..

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.