Sign in to follow this  

Moving from VB to C++ Need help!

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, As the subject stats, Im looking to movie from VB to C++. I have no C++ use other than looking at some code a freind of mine did. I have Basic VB use(I can make a few small programs on my own without help). What I need is a few books to help me out. I ordered this book off amazon.com Book Can anyone else help me out here. Thanks Wanab

No I don't know this book. I also can't give you names of good books as I have read only (very good) german books till now.
But I suggest not to buy more books for now. Read it and then decide if you need more of this "general C++" kind.
If not then get you some books that cover special areas in detail like algorithm, math, graphic...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Once you have an understanding of C++ then 'Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus' by Andre LaMothe is widely thought of as a good place to begin. Excellent coverage of all the basic parts of a gme, 2D and (some) 3D, sound, maths, physics, AI, text-based, etc. I bought it and its a great starting place.

Hope that helps :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
game programming all in one is ok for beginners.

something like teach your self c++ in 21 days is ok.

tip: don't think about righting a windows program until you have a good grasp of c++. stick to dos.

that book got some good reviews so I would stick with it and not give up if you get stuck. just come here and people will help you on with it.

It may be easier if you start with a book on C. Alot of the functionality of C in inherited in C++ without the Object Oriented aspect (that was a bit hard for me to grasp at first). C Unleashed is good for some intermediate stuff, and C++ for game programmers is awsome IMO. I reccomend it even if you are not a game programmer, which i suspect you are as you posted here ;) Beginning Visual C++ is also a nice starting point but it gets more into MFC (windows programming) about halfway through.
Thats all I can think of now, if I think of anything else I will post it tonight.

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.