Sign in to follow this  

Copy Constructor(nevermind)

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with my copy constructor. It seems that the compiler doesn't want to call it, favoring a method that requires an intermidairy step.
[source=cpp]
class B
{
public:
operator int*();
};
class A : public B
{
public:
A(const B& rs);
A(int* input);
};
void main()
{
B Stuff;
A Blah(Stuff);
}

For some reason it decides to call operator int*, then construct with that pointer (NO! BAD!), instead of just constructing from B itself. How can the compiler chose to go through 2 steps when a single step method is available? I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I don't think it's a beta bug, because I recall having similar difficulties with VC6 with it chosing to first cast to char*, then cast the char* to bool, instead of using my operator bool. I instead used operator !, and then did !! for true and just ! for false. I got it to work in 2k5 by putting operator bool above the char* cast, but as you can see in the above code, tried that, didn't work. Edit: Found my problem, check 3rd post. [Edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on August 20, 2004 5:06:44 PM]

No, I just tried it and it works as well. Grrr. The full source is thusly: (beware, quite long)
**snip**
then in an object I have a PartialPointer<Base, false> m_This, which I plug into a function that expects a Pointer<Base, false>. I have to cast it either by doing Pointer<Base, false>(m_This), or (Pointer<Base, false>)m_This, either way will do the same thing. If you skim through, you will see a Pointer(const PartialPointer& rs), but it insists on casting to a Base*, then back to a Pointer. (which causes an access violation in the near future) So it choses to go with the 2 step, crash causing method, rather than the (higher in the class,) 1 step, should-work-fine method.

For a test, take the above and stuff it into Pointer.h, and put the below into main.cpp:
**snip**
Put a breakpoint on reversion, and you'll see it go to int* then back to Pointer.

Edit: Found my problem. I should have used Pointer(const PartialPointer<T, UseExistsFunction>& rs) instead of one without template parameters.

[Edited by - Erzengeldeslichtes on August 20, 2004 5:25:52 PM]

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.