C# as a Language Choice

Started by
3 comments, last by thedevdan 19 years, 8 months ago
I know C++ is the defaco standard. But what about C#? I still don't know much about the language, but from what I've seen it's pretty slick. Could C# be a good choice for game development? What are the draw backs of using C# as apposed to C++ if there is any? Again, I'm still new to hard core coding (doing mostly the design aspect of things), so if there is a FAQ or another post I should be reading then let me know. I'm not affraid of the flames. :)
Advertisement
Put your flameproof suit on, things might be gettin hot in here boy!

But seriously... C# is gaining a lot of popularity in the business world, with many companies now adopting it as their preferred RAD tool as well as their main programming tool.

As for C# in the game industry, I'm not too sure. The last I heard there were a few people tinkering in it - there's even a game engine development project or two (Purple# spring to mind). As for actual AAA games released that were coded in C#, I don't think there's any (as far as I know).

C# offers a lot of nice features that most people tend to implement in C++ anyway (Garbage Collection for one) and will probably save you a few weeks or months of development time on some projects by allowing you to script your game with C# and also use C# to write your dev tools for your games. It also has the added bonus of having portable assemblies (Mono, dotGNU are Linux implementation of the .NET framework that C# is compiled to).

I think we'll just have to see if it takes off, but I'm guessing that C/C++ will be the mainstream language for game programmers for a few more years to come.
I think C# would be a great choice.
Indeed there will be a slight performance loss, but I think that this is a good trade-off for the gained productivity.
With C# you don't have to worry about garbage collection for example, as evolutional already stated.
Now you can use that time do actually make the game.
Add more content, make more features etc.
with the next version of windows it will grow a lot faster than it is now. there are other areas where .net is used and these seem to be forgotten on these forums when it comes to basing .net. It can be used on mobile devices that run .net.

the gametech handheld console is .net ppc2003 is .net

My opion is that it will take of in the server end of development before it does in the gfx area.
There are design issues I have with C#, but I am definitely jumping on board with the release of C#2.0.
Not giving is not stealing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement