Sign in to follow this  

problem installing packages in debian

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

during debian installation, just after I selected what packages I wanted to install, my cd-rom stoped working, probably not linux's fault. darn cd-rom has been acting up for the past month or two. anyways I removed the cd rom, so now the cd/rw should be seen as the first cd, only problem is now linux didn't start up with the installation program, so how do I run the tasksel program? I tried typing in tasksel and it askes me if I updated somthing or other.

So, the installer was finished except for package selection? (I just did a Debian install and can't remember when it asks for package selection for some reason. It was a Potato-era boot floppies installer though...)

I've literally never used tasksel, so I'm not sure what error message(s) it may have given you (if I could see it, it'd help :P). Have you tried entering apt-get update before running tasksel? Just to make sure, am I correct in assuming you're doing all of this as root?

Package selection stuff occurs after all the important installation. You can rerun the installer's config stuff by running dpkg-reconfigure base-config as root.

while installing the packages the cd stoped reading and just kept clicking, the screen kept going through a cycle, cd reset timed out, error reading track 95654 or somthing like that. when I type in tasksel it says no tasks set or somthing and have you updated your sources or somthing
I tried typing in dpkg-reconfigure base-config , as the root user and nothing seemed to happen.
thats all I can think of at the moment, the cd rom isn't working in windows or anything so like I said I took it out

ok it seems apt-setup was the program or whatever I was looking for. unfortunatly it doesn't seem to see the cd/rw, even though the cd-rom was removed, so either its looking at the wrong cd or it doesn't see or understand my cd/rw. how do I find the cd/rw directory to type in?
I'm going to go look for anything that can tell me if debian has drivers for a hi-val 24x 10x 40x drive, but if anybody knows a quicker way to find out feel free to share.

ok, the apt-setup program or whatever can not auto detect the bloody cdrom, thats a bit obvious, whatever. can I copy the cd's contents onto a ntfs partition using windows and have it install packages off that partition?

ok I could just try it and find out, I probably have to mount the ntfs partition with the cd's on it. or I could try mounting the cd rw, though that doesn't seem to be working. ugh

Sign in to follow this