Sign in to follow this  

DX Framework Compatibility

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was just wondering if the sample framework given with DX9c can be backwards compatible with 9/9b? Is there anyway this could be done easily without to much of a major rework? Thanks,

Not really. The 9.0c sample framework is a major rewrite.
It would be easier to extract your own code from previous frameworks and plug that in to the new framework.
The old framework involved overiding virtual functions in a CD3DApp class, with the new framework you use callbacks instead.
So mostly a matter of moving the code from your virtual function overides to callback functions and using DXUTState functions to obtain state information rather than CD3DApp class members.

HTH,
Cambo_frog

It's mainly the D3DX library that has changed between 9.0b and 9.0c. Mainly the ID3DXEffect interface and the ID3DXPRT[stuff] have had major changes. And I havent gone through the sample code as yet, but from what I've seen it dosen't use those things. The GUI I *think* uses the ID3DXEffect effect framework, but even then, it's not the interface calls that have changed that much, the effect framework has been given a major performace boost (or so I hear, havent tested).

So using the new framework with9.0b should'ne be that much of a problem.

Hmmm, ok.

So I'm guessing from your replies it would be impossible to compile up a standard 9c framework on a PC which only has 9b installed without a lot of errors?

Quote:
Original post by Mike737
Hmmm, ok.

So I'm guessing from your replies it would be impossible to compile up a standard 9c framework on a PC which only has 9b installed without a lot of errors?

Quote:
Original post by IFooBar
So using the new framework with 9.0b should'nt be that much of a problem.

Like I said, you *might* have to do a little work if the ID3DXEffect interface is used, which again, might not be in use.

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.