Downloading Linux on 56k

Started by
22 comments, last by ontheheap 19 years, 7 months ago
Four years ago I downloaded a RedHat distro - a full iso image - over 56kb connection. It took three days, but I did it while I went on a trip out of town. I used a download reconnect program to ensure that the package would be complete when I got back. I burned the iso to cd and I was good to go. I wouldn't recommend this approach. Like others have said, buying a cd is the way to go.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
I lost xp when I tried to do a Hard drive install :|

Oh well you live and learn
Well I warned you to get a real distro. DSL and distros like that are small for a reason. They are missing a lot of stuff. I really hope you have your Windows CDs. I would hate to lose Windows(since I have a lot of games that only run on Windows). I don't have my Cds.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
I already saw zipslack mentioned but I thought I'd mention it again. It only takes about a day to download on a 56k modem and, as was previously said, just dump it on a fat parition. Windows XP is somewhat of a pain in the ass (you can't boot to a dos prompt unless you make a boot disk. This is very simple in xp, however).

Insert floppy, go to My Computer, right click the drive letter, select "Format", select "Make DOS [whatever it says, you'll see it]" and there ya go.

And order a slackware cd while you're at it too ;) Zipslack is just an appetizer, imo.

- Stephen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement