How can you blur without shaders?

Started by
10 comments, last by Tassu 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I'm trying to experiment with blurring things and I have a crappy GeForce 4 440 Go that doesn't support shaders. I was wondering if there was another way to do blurring. In the redbook I saw a function called glconvolutionfilter that looks like it could but it must not be core in version 1.1, is there an extension? Or are there any other ways blurring can be done without shaders?
Advertisement
I'm not sure what kind of blur you are looking for, but if its motion blur, then check out what this guy has done.

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/3D/index.php?start=32
Sorry, I meant like gaussian blur or radial blur or just something where you can mess with pixels and it parts look unfocused like edges and stuff. For example taking a pixel and averaging it with its 8 neighbors and so forth.
What you can do is copy the screen to a texture and blend that texture a few times after stretching it. There is a nice radial blur example on Nehe that does this.
The real solution would be to by a new graphics card if you ask me. You can get a card that support vs/ps 2.0 for under 100 buck which is all you will need.
Don't shoot! I'm with the science team.....
I agree that buying a new card would be the best but I have a laptop so Id need to get a whole new computer :`(
Quote:Original post by Player_0
In the redbook I saw a function called glconvolutionfilter that looks like it could but it must not be core in version 1.1, is there an extension?

It's in GL_ARB_imaging..
Have you tried playing around with the accumulation buffer?

There's also - NeHe #36 - Radial Blur for uhm, a radial blur example

EDIT: Where'd my link go?

[Edited by - evolutional on August 23, 2004 6:35:49 AM]
Change the viewport(to 512X512,256X256 or 128X128)(at a time interval)and draw the object you want to blur in that viewport ,copy that image into a texture,make a quad(on full viewport) textured with that texture and blend it with the screen(10%transparency,alpha=0.9f) background,come back to the old viewport and clear the screen,than draw that quad over the drawn object.

Accumulation buffer sucks! Way tooooo slow!

Quote:Original post by evolutional
Have you tried playing around with the accumulation buffer?

The accumulation buffer is only supported in hardware on really new high end cards (definatly not GF4 Go). On anything else it might work but it'd be hideously slow.

Like Daos says, render it to a texture somehow then blur the resulting texture (usually by re-rendering it to itself repeatedly with small position offsets).
You are defenetly right,i made a confusion ,so i changed this replay(Just in case you read the one i posted before)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement